Menu


Hound dies in garage, kennel blaze near Pavillion

Jan 25, 2015 By Katie Roenigk, Staff Writer

At least one dog was killed Jan. 15 in a structure fire east of Pavillion.

No humans were injured in the blaze, which destroyed a garage and dog kennel and damaged a home in the 300 block of East Pavillion Road.

The call came in at about 4:45 a.m. Jan. 15, when the reporting party said her dog kennel and garage were on fire.

Fremont County Fire Protection District deputy chief Dan Oakley said the residents noticed the fire when their eight hounds started barking and baying.

"The dogs woke them up," Oakley said.

The fire soon spread through the garage to breach the living space of the attached home. Flames entered and destroyed one bedroom, Oakley said, and the entire home sustained "significant" heat, smoke and water damage.

"We had crews inside keeping the fire from extending any farther into the house," he said.

The blaze was under control within an hour, and units were on scene until about 7 a.m. Oakley said the family is displaced for now, but he noted that they have friends and family in the area.

He thinks the fire was started by a heat lamp that had been left in the dog house to keep the animals warm.

"Probably (it) got knocked over," he said.

At least six of the dogs survived the fire. One pup was dead, and another was missing as of Jan. 15.

Print Story
 
Read The Ranger...
2017-10-18

TAGS: