Kinnear church celebrating 75 yearsJun 3, 2015 From staff reports
The Sunnyside Church of the Nazarene in Kinnear is celebrating its 75th anniversary with a reunion Saturday in the facility's fellowship hall.
Pie and ice cream will be served at the meet and greet at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, and on Sunday, the celebrations will continue when former pastor Jon Shellenberger leads Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. Classes also will be available for children.
The worship service will begin at 10:30 a.m. and include memories and stories from those who were children during the time the church was organized.
Pastor Jon Martin will conclude the morning service, and dinner will be served in the fellowship hall for everyone.
Friends and neighbors from the community are invited to attend the festivities.
The Sunnyside Church of the Nazarene was organized June 9, 1940, with 58 charter members, according to a press release.
The church started as a Bible study in the homes of Lester and Mary Russell and Miles and Pearl Marcum.
They soon needed a larger place to meet, so a 24-by-24-foot building was constructed out of rough lumber and covered with tar paper on land donated by John Russell northeast of Kinnear. Much was donated to the church, not only by the members but by the community as well.
Today a new church stands on U.S. Highway 26 two miles east of Kinnear on land originally donated by Clarence and Blanche Clapp in 1941.
For more information, call Marilyn Lund at 856-6270 or Evelyn Westlake at 856-6207 or 856-5860.