Menu


Hudson shop gutted Sunday by fire; 4 departments there

Jan 31, 2017 By Kelli Ameling, Staff Writer

A malfunctioning oil-drip feeder is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a metal shop Sunday in Hudson.

Multiple fire agencies were dispatched at 7:15 p.m. Jan. 29 to 449 S. Eighth St. in Hudson on a report of a structure fire.

Fremont County Fire Protection District deputy chief Dan Oakley said the 50x70-foot metal shop was not occupied when the fire started.

According the Fremont County Assessor's Office, the property is registered to David and Toni Coffee.

Oakley said there were about 30 firefighters from FCFDP Battalion 1 - Riverton, Battalion 3 - Lander Rural, Battalion 10 - Hudson, and Lander Volunteer Fire Department on scene for about five hours battling the blaze. The fire rekindled just after 5 a.m. Monday, and firefighters returned to the scene for about two hours.

An accident

Richard Embrey, an investigator for the Wyoming State Fire Marshal's Office, said he believes a switch malfunctioned in an oil-drip feeder built to recycle waste oil into fuel.

Embrey said the investigation has shown a switch might not have shut off, heating the oil to the ignition point .

"It appears to be accidental and that no one did anything wrong," Embrey said.

The shop was a total loss from the blaze.

Print Story
 
About 30 firefighters from four agencies battled this fire Sunday night at a metal shop in Hudson. The shop was unoccupied, and no injuries were reported. The structure was destroyed. Photo by Kelli Ameling

About 30 firefighters from four agencies battled this fire Sunday night at a metal shop in Hudson. The shop was unoccupied, and no injuries were reported. The structure was destroyed. Photo by Kelli Ameling


About 30 firefighters from four agencies battled this fire Sunday night at a metal shop in Hudson. The shop was unoccupied, and no injuries were reported. The structure was destroyed. Photo by Kelli Ameling

About 30 firefighters from four agencies battled this fire Sunday night at a metal shop in Hudson. The shop was unoccupied, and no injuries were reported. The structure was destroyed. Photo by Kelli Ameling

Read The Ranger...
2017-10-19

TAGS: