Dec 6, 2013 - From staff reportsScholarship applications are available from the Chief Washakie Memorial awards committee for the 2014-2015 academic year at the University of Wyoming. The application deadline is March 1.
Awards will be for varying amounts dependent upon available funds and applicant qualifications. Applicants should have strong ties to the Wind River Indian Reservation and be seeking a graduate degree, a bachelor's degree or a certification to retain a current position.
Full- and part-time students on campus or enrolled through the UW Outreach School, online, and all class level students, including graduate/professional and second bachelor's degree candidates, are encouraged to apply.
Criteria used for awarding scholarships include scholastic ability, potential and achievement; involvement in school, community and tribal activities; potential to contribute to the reservation community upon graduation; and financial circumstances. Applicants are asked to describe their involvement in American Indian activities and to explain how they plan to use their education to benefit the reservation community and to provide a list of their honors, accomplishments and activities.
Applications are available at www.uwyo.edu/sfa/scholar
ships/misc/scholarship_apps.html and at all Fremont County high schools.
Forms also are available at the following locations:
- Sky People Higher Education Program, Box 920, Fort Washakie, WY 82514
- Office of Student Financial Aid, University of Wyoming, 174 Knight Hall, Department 3335, 1000 E. University Ave., Laramie, WY 82071
- UW Education Opportunity Center, 705 Fairgrounds Drive, Riverton, WY 82501
- UW Outreach Office, 2660 Peck Ave., Box 58, Riverton, WY 82501
- Native American Programs Office, Central Wyoming College, Riverton, WY 82501
- American Indian Studies Office, University of Wyoming, 114 Ross Hall, Department 3431, 1000 E. University Ave., Laramie, WY 82071
- Shoshone Higher Education Program, P.O. Box 628, Fort Washakie, WY 82514
- Multicultural Affairs, University of Wyoming, 117 Knight Hall, Department 3168, 1000 E. University Ave., Laramie, WY 82071.
For more information, contact Debra Reed-Littlesun, UW Student Financial Aid associate director of scholarships, at 766-2411 or e-mail at Dreed14@uwyo.edu.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.