News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Dec 17, 2013 - Staff
In Sunday's Ranger, the page one story "High-value fire on Union Pass under probe; 'not suspicious,'" should have referred to the Dubois fire chief as Mike Franchini. He said winter conditions required several water tenders at the fire.
Stan Bain, 64, of Hudson, died Sunday, Dec. 8. Memorial services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21, at the Veterans of Foreign Wars, 11 Tweed Lane, Lander. All are welcome.
Iva "Varah" Bateman, 94, formerly of Riverton, died Friday, Dec. 13, in Gillette. No services are planned.
Bruce Calhoun, 57, of Riverton, died Saturday, Dec. 14, at his home. Per his request, cremation has taken place, and private family services will be held.
Harry Fegler, 90, of Riverton, died Sunday, Dec. 15, at his home. Services are pending through Davis Funeral Home.
Lucia Paula Hampton, 95, of Lander, died Sunday, Dec. 15, at Westward Heights Care Center. Per her request, cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 4, at Mountain Vista Retirement Residence in Lander.
Marjorie J. Nichols, 81, of Riverton, died Friday, Dec. 13, at her son's home in Basin. Per her request, cremation will take place, and there will be no services.
Harlen "Dean" Weitzel, 78, of Sterling, Colo., died Friday, Nov. 29, in Sterling. Memorial services were Friday, Dec. 6, at Trinity Lutheran Church with Pastor James Nash officiating. A second memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 20, at Trinity Lutheran Church in Riverton with the Rev. Dave Magruder officiating. Interment will follow at Mountain View Cemetery.
Veterans Assistance is 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Riverton VA Clinic, 2300 Rose Lane.
2013 Tax Laws and Affordable Care Act Presentation, provided by Legal Aid of Wyoming, Inc., is at 6 p.m. at Great Plains Hall, 15 Great Plains Road, Arapahoe. Event is free.
Bookies Book Club meets at 12:30 p.m. in the conference room at the Senior Citizen's Center, 205 S. 10th St., Lander. The group will discuss "Christmas Jars" by Jason Wright.
Wyoming Indian Elementary School Christmas Program is at 1:30 p.m. in the school's gym. Preschoolers through fifth-graders will perform their songs along with the Gourd/White Hawk Dancers. The theme this year is "Country Christmas." The audience will be invited to sing "Let it be Christmas" by Alan Jackson at the end of the service. Event is free and open to the public.
Ace Hardware Chamber Social is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Ace Hardware, 619 N. Federal Blvd., Riverton. Event includes free refreshments and gift wrapping and a drawing for a $100 gift certificate.
2013 Tax Laws and Affordable Care Act Presentation, provided by Legal Aid of Wyoming, Inc., is at 6 p.m. at Rocky Mountain Hall, 19 North Fork Road, Fort Washakie. Event is free.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Eldon Antelope, 48, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication.
- Nelson Duran, 33, of Fort Washakie, was arrested for public intoxication.
- Jonathan Davis, 30, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication and on a warrant for failure to appear.
- Arthur Leon, 38, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation.
- Theodore Goggles, 72, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication.
- Franklin Tail, 23, of Lander, was arrested for disturbing the peace.
- Theodore Goggles, 72, of Riverton, and Travis Blackburn, 32, of Riverton, were arrested for public intoxication.
- A 17-year-old Riverton boy was issued a citation for minor under the influence.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Calvin Leischer, 30, of Riverton, was arrested for driving while under the influence at about 4 p.m. Sunday in the 7400 block of Wyoming Highway 789 just south of Lander.
- Deanna Lujan, 36, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for contempt of court at about 2:15 p.m. Sunday at the Fremont County Detention Center in Lander.
- Amber Redick, 30, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear and for driving while under suspension at about 7:15 p.m. Friday at the intersection of Gasser Road and North Eighth Street West in Riverton.
- Rori Swarthout, 28, of Riverton, was arrested for probation violation.
- A 16-year-old Dubois boy was arrested on a court order at about 10:40 a.m. Friday in the 700 block of Meckem Street in Dubois.
- Doug Lemley, 30, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 11:30 a.m. Monday in the 2500 block of South Smith Road in Riverton.
- Kyle Schiefer, 25, of Riverton, was arrested on two counts of domestic violence battery at about 12:30 p.m. Monday on Ranch Road north of Riverton. His victim reportedly called law enforcement to say Schiefer was "beating up" her and her family. No weapons or alcohol was involved, but the woman said Schiefer had "slammed" her head against the road.
- The FCSO did not respond to a family fight call that was handled by the Wind River Police Department at about 2:45 p.m. Friday on Big Ridge Lane in Kinnear. Initial reports state the fight involved a woman and her mother. The WRPD reported that a 6-month-old baby was thrown across the room and "has a bump on the head." No further information was available.
- Deputies responded at about 5 p.m. Sunday to reports that several subjects were pouring liquid through the broken windows of a house on Pleasant Drive in Riverton. The reporting party said he believes the subjects were pouring gas into the residence and "crashing" at the windows. Officials said the majority of windows on the property were boarded up; they saw no footprints in the snow when they arrived at the scene, and there was no evidence that liquid had been poured into the house. Deputies said they couldn't smell gas, but they noted that tree branches were blowing against the house.
- During this timeframe, the Fremont County Emergency Dispatch Center took 172 calls for service, including one involving a motor vehicle accident reporting injuries. County ambulances were dispatched 61 times, and area fire departments responded to 10 calls for help. Twenty-two people were booked into the Fremont County Detention Center for charges, including two for driving under the influence, seven other alcohol-related charges, one felony charge and 30 misdemeanor charges. The center currently is responsible for 151 inmates, including 138 at the facility, six in substance abuse treatment programs, one on home detention and six elsewhere.