Jan 9, 2014 - StaffDeaths
Roger Brooks, 47, of Fort Washakie, died Saturday, Jan. 4, of complications from diabetes at Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, Colo. Cremation has taken place, and a memorial service will be in the spring.
Steve Jones, 63, recently of Lander, died suddenly Saturday, Jan. 5, at his home in Jackson. A celebration of life service will be in the summer, somewhere in the mountains of Wyoming.
John Cornell Kuka, 66, died Saturday, Jan. 4, at the Wyoming Medical Center in Casper with his family at his side. Per his request, cremation has taken place. A traditional memorial service and feast will be at 10 a.m. Monday, Jan. 13, at St. Stephen's Indian Mission. The service will continue afterward at Great Plains Hall in Arapahoe.
Edith Lee, 89, of Riverton, died Wednesday, Jan. 8, at Help for Health. Services are pending through Davis Funeral Home.
Wayne Nelson, 84, formerly of Lander, died Sunday, Jan. 5, at his home in Cheyenne. Visitation will be 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, with services following at Crandall Funeral Home, 800 Uinta St., Evanston.
Emanuel R. "Smitty" Schmidt, 93, of Lander, died Sunday, Jan. 5, at home. Per his request, there will be no services.
2014 Five Shot Rabbit Hunt is Jan. 10 to Jan. 12. Registrations, calcutta, dance, silent auction and raffles are Jan. 10. Hunters can check in at 5 a.m. Jan. 11 at the Shoshoni Senior Citizen Center, 209 Main St. The hunt ends at 6 p.m. Junior hunters ages 12 to 17 can participate Jan. 12 with an experienced hunter.
eBooks Open House is 10 a.m. to noon at the Shoshoni Branch Library, 216 Idaho St. Have an iPad, Android Device or Kindle Fire and want to learn how to access eBooks using the 3M Cloud Library? Bring them in and have the library staff show you how. Patrons will need their WYLD library card and PIN.
Fremont Symphony Orchestra Annual Fundraiser Concert is 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Carnegie Room at the Lander Library, 451 N. Second St., Lander. Admission is free.
In Riverton Police Department reports Wednesday to Thursday morning:
- Nina Littleshield, 47, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic battery at about 9:55 a.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of Apache Avenue.
- Kandace Louvat, 23, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic battery at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 900 block of Forest Drive. Also arrested was Cederic Shakespeare, 27, of Riverton, on a Fremont County warrant.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office reports Wednesday to Thursday morning:
- Stefan Bigmedicine, 31, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 10 p.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of Firethorn Lane in Riverton.
- A blue mountain bike was reported stolen at about 12:50 p.m. Wednesday from the 200 block of West Ramshorn Street in Dubois. The reporting party said the bike was taken either Tuesday or over the weekend.
- During this timeframe, the Fremont County Emergency Dispatch Center took 46 calls for service, and county ambulances were dispatched 19 times. Six people were booked into the Fremont County Detention Center for charges, including one felony charge and seven misdemeanor charges. The center currently is responsible for 130 inmates, including 120 at the facility, four in substance abuse treatment programs, one on home detention and five elsewhere.
- Grantor: WALL MARLENE J, STEVENS WILLIAM S, SPURRIER JOAN M, ... Legal: Quarter: NWNW Section: 16 Township: 3N Range: 1E , Quarter: SWNW Section: 16 Township: 3N Range: 1E Grantee: SPURRIER JOAN M
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.