A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
Jan 14, 2014 - Staff
In Sunday's Ranger, a page one cutline should have said the altered 1923 Chevy dragster belonged to John ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
In Sunday's Ranger, a page one cutline should have said the altered 1923 Chevy dragster belonged to John Brewbaker.
William Thomas Gustin, of Lander, died Saturday, Jan. 11, in Lander. A memorial service will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 21, in the Chapel of Mount Hope, Hudson's Funeral Home.
William Stewart Hunt, of Hudson, died Thursday, Jan. 9, in Casper. A funeral mass will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 15, in the Holy Rosary Catholic Church. Burial will follow in the Mount Hope Cemetery in Lander.
Haldis I. Shelton, 92, of Riverton, died Saturday, Jan. 11, at Westward Heights in Lander. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 17, at the United Methodist Church in Riverton. Pastor Don Schlichting will officiate.
Brian Francis Willow Sr., of Ethete, died Thursday, Jan. 9, in Casper. A visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, at Blue Sky Hall. The visitation will follow in the family home overnight at 87 Lone Bear Lane in Ethete. A funeral service will be at 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 17, at Blue Sky Hall.
eBooks Open House is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Lander Library, 451 N. Second St., Lander.
Bookies Book Club meets at 12:30 p.m. in the conference room at the Senior Citizen's Center, 205 S. 10th St., Lander. The group will discuss "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.
Parent Teacher Organization Meeting is at 3:15 p.m. at Aspen Park Elementary.
January Chamber Social is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at James Gores & Associates, 111 N. Third St. E., Riverton.
Creative Writing Group Meeting is at 6:45 p.m. in the Little Theater at the Lander Library, 451 N. Second St., Lander. The group is for anyone interested in writing, getting advice, sharing ideas and/or creating projects. All writers and would-be writers are welcome.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Dillian Barlow, 21, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 2 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of North 10th Street East.
- Brandon Edgeington, 24, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 3 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of Riverview Road.
- Quannah Valdez, 26, of Ethete, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday in the 700 block of East Main Street.
- Stephen Oldman, 23, of Riverton, was arrested for disturbing the peace at about 9:15 p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of Webbwood Road.
- Gary Blackburn, 28, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence strangulation of a household member at about 7:20 a.m. Sunday in the 600 block of Eagle Drive.
- Teresa Swimmer, 37, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Brandon Gould, 21, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- Thomas Hall, 40, of Riverton, was arrested on a Campbell County warrant at about 11:20 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of West Main Street in Riverton.
- Stephanie Whitman, 21, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 1 p.m. Friday at the Fremont County Sheriff's Office in Lander.
- A civilian vehicle reportedly backed into a Shoshoni Police Department patrol car at about 12:10 p.m. Friday at the Fast Lane convenience store, 110 W. Second St., Shoshoni. The incident is under investigation.
- A man on Haymaker Road reportedly was hospitalized after the Department of Family Services requested a welfare check for him at about 2:15 p.m. Friday. The man reportedly has a mental condition and was sleeping with a shotgun while his son was in their house on Haymaker Road. The reporting party said the man was "hearing voices" as part of his mental condition.
- A woman in Dubois requested a welfare check for a local mail carrier who apparently slept in Friday. At about 2:45 p.m. Friday, the woman said she was trying to wake the mail carrier up, but there was no answer at his door. She said she was worried something was wrong with him. Officials said they made contact with the man, who was OK.
- A man in the 800 block of Freedom Drive in Riverton called officials at about 3 p.m. Friday to ask about a camper that had been abandoned on his property.
- A man in the 100 block of East Center Avenue in Pavillion called police at about 3:45 p.m. Friday to make a secondhand report about a subject who reportedly had threatened to cut the brake lines of someone's vehicle and put sugar in the gas tank. The incident is under investigation.
- Strong winds reportedly caused a security alarm to go off at about 7 p.m. Friday at Power Toys on Wyoming Highway 789 north of Riverton.
- A hit and run accident was reported at about 10:15 p.m. Friday on David's Way in Riverton, where a vehicle reportedly hit a fence and then left the scene. The incident possibly involved a dark blue Nissan pickup truck with a camper shell. The reporting party said the subject vehicle headed toward Lost Wells Butte after the incident; the driver was a white man in his 50s with a beard and coveralls. The incident is under investigation.
- A woman in the 2200 block of North Second Street in Lander called police at about 7:30 a.m. Saturday to report that several horses were in the field behind her house. The owner reportedly picked up the animals later that day.
- A white Chihuahua was reported missing at about 8:40 a.m. Saturday from a home on Snowberry Lane north of Riverton. It reportedly got lost sometime Friday night.
- A man in the 100 block of North Indiana Avenue in Hudson said someone took his credit card and charged $326 on it sometime last week. He called police at about 9:20 a.m. Saturday. The incident is under investigation.
- Minor property damage was reported at about 9:30 a.m. Friday during a traffic accident at a trailer park in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue. Initial reports state one vehicle struck another vehicle while pulling into the parking lot there. No injuries were reported; the incident involved a burgundy 2007 Ford Focus and a GMC truck that pulled to the side of the road after the crash.
- Two dogs were reported missing at about 10:45 a.m. Saturday from the 2900 block of Sinks Canyon Road.
- An anonymous person on Haymaker Road called police at about 2 p.m. Saturday about a male subject nearby "doing wheelies" with a red passenger car. The reporting party was afraid the subject was going to roll his vehicle.
- An iPad reportedly was stolen at about 2:15 p.m. Saturday from a vehicle in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue. The reporting party said the item was taken Saturday morning.
- Deputies were called at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday to assist the Wyoming Highway Patrol with a tractor-trailer combination that reportedly flipped over on Wyoming Highway 28 near South Pass City. Initial reports state the "big semi" was blocking or slowing traffic, with the trailer in the ditch and the cab on the highway. The driver reported shoulder and leg pain but was up and walking, according to initial reports. The truck was hauling canned goods.
- Deputies were called to a family disagreement at about 6:10 p.m. Saturday on Pleasant Drive in Riverton. The reporting party said his sister was drunk and causing problems; he said he had taken a knife away from her. Officials said weapons were not involved in the altercation, and no law enforcement action was taken.
- A woman on Sand Draw Road called police at about 10:35 p.m. Saturday about a man who appeared to be asleep or unconscious in a black Hyundai. She said she had knocked on the man's window and honked her horn, but the man did not respond. Officials said the man was sleeping; no action was taken.
- Deputies were called to assist the Lander Police Department at about 10:45 p.m. Saturday at the Summit Restaurant in Lander where a wedding party was reportedly getting out of hand.
- A man was reportedly "passed out" at about 2:20 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Webbwood and North Smith roads.
- A woman in the 400 block of Ridgeway Road in Riverton called police at about 11:20 a.m. Sunday to report seeing a horse with a bullet hole in its shoulder. The animal was reportedly in a corral, and she thought the injury took place Saturday evening. Officials said the incident is under investigation, but the horse does not appear to have suffered a bullet wound.