TodayJan 28, 2014 Staff
In Sunday's Ranger, the page one story "County won't take more action on Bennett in Drennen's case" should have said Leroy Hoster was killed in May 2010.
Charles R. Adams, 81, formerly of Fremont County, died Monday, Jan. 27, in Payson, Ariz. Services are pending.
Ella Marie Boswell, 94, died Thursday, Jan. 23, at Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Wind River in Riverton. Burial was Friday, Jan. 24, at Mount Hope Cemetery in Lander. A memorial service will be at a later date.
C.A. "Buck" Buchanan Jr., 85, died Thursday, Jan. 23, after a short illness. The funeral will be Friday, Jan. 31, in Uvalde, Texas.
Ruth House, 89, of Riverton, died Sunday, Jan. 26, at Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Wind River. Per her request, cremation has taken place, and there will be no services.
Bonnie Jean Lay, 85, of Wheatland, died Friday, Jan. 24, at the Platte County Memorial Nursing Home in Wheatland. A funeral service was Tuesday, Jan. 28, at the Wheatland Bible Church in Wheatland with Pastor Jason Lacovetto officiating. Interment will be at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28, in the Harrison Cemetery in Harrison, Neb.
Joseph A. Secrist, 70, formerly of Pavillion, died Sunday, Jan. 26, at his home in Thermopolis after a battle with cancer. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 30, at Warm Valley Baptist Church in Pavillion. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery in Riverton.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Marcia Smith, 34, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation at about 7:20 p.m. Friday in the 1200 block of East Park Avenue.
- Terry Beitel, 28, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence and careless driving at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday in the 1100 block of East Fremont Avenue.
- Carlos Gasson, 44, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- Gary Jara, 44, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 4:15 p.m. Sunday in the 1200 block of South Eighth Street East. With him was Rachel Antelope, 30, of Riverton, was arrested for contempt of court.
- Garrett Revere, 55, of Kinnear, was arrested for public intoxication at about 9 p.m. Sunday at Riverton Memorial Hospital.
- Jose Flores, 28, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday in the 500 block of South Third Street East.
- Shawn Limpy, 25, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation.
- Paul Cady, 47, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence assault and interference with a 911 call.
- Casey Peters, 25, of Riverton, was arrested for assault and domestic violence assault.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Mykenzie Carpenter-Lott, 19, of Casper, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 4:30 p.m. Friday at the Fremont County Courthouse in Riverton.
- Matthew Snyder, 33, of Dubois, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 4:45 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of South First Street in Dubois.
- Trey Stinnette, 29, of Riverton, was arrested on a Campbell County warrant at about 11:30 a.m. Friday in the 100 block of East Washington Avenue.
- A man called police at about 9:30 a.m. Friday from the 900 block of Eight Mile Road to say his neighbors' chickens had come into his yard and "pooped all over" the night before. He wanted to know what would happen if he shot the birds.
- A woman reported a juvenile problem at about 4:15 p.m. Friday from the 1700 block of Hillcrest Drive in Lander. According to her, a group of teenagers was sitting in the middle of the street in a late 1990s Chevy passenger car. The woman said she had to drive around them to get by, and she thought they were texting. She said they "flipped (her) off" as she drove by.
- A truck reportedly entered a yard and "spun cookies" at about 11:30 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of Burma Road north of Riverton. Officers were unable to locate the suspect.
- A "big" Siberian husky was reported missing at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday from Alaska Road north of Riverton. The reporting party said the animal had been gone for 18-20 hours. It was described as white and gray with a collar and no tags.
- Someone reportedly failed to pay for gas at about 2:45 p.m. Saturday at the Maverik Country Store, 135 E. Main St. in Lander.
- A white and brown pit bull reportedly attacked a German shepherd at about 4 p.m. Saturday on Gardens North Drive in Riverton. The reporting party said the pit bull then ran into her house to attack her German shepherd for a second time. She said if she had a gun "she would have shot it." Officials said the victim dog was OK, and the owner of the suspect dog was issued a citation.
- Two dogs reportedly attacked each other at about 5:45 p.m. Saturday at the Cozy Mobile Home Park in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue, and the owner of one of the dogs stabbed the other animal to death to stop the altercation. The incident reportedly took place in the middle of the street. Officials said their complete investigation will be forwarded to the Fremont County Attorney's Office; charges may or may not be filed against either dog owner.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in the upper leg by his wife at about 3:45 p.m. Sunday on Hutchinson Road in Riverton. Officials said the accidental incident involved a 9 mm handgun; the man was taken to Riverton Memorial Hospital by personal vehicle. The couple reportedly had been target practicing with several friends in the area of Devil's Pit. Witnesses said the woman was shooting downrange and had turned around when the gun discharged; the man was standing behind her and was struck by the round. An investigation revealed it was an unfortunate and completely unintentional accident.
- A woman from Warm Valley Baptist Church in Pavillion called police at about 4 p.m. Sunday to report that a young boy was regularly shooting a BB gun toward children in the area. Officers said they will contact the juvenile and his parents.
- A tri-color border collie with no collar or tags was reported missing at about 8:30 a.m. Monday from the 300 block of Red Canyon Road south of Lander. The reporting party said the dog had been missing since last Saturday.
- Officers are investigating a report that came in at about 4:20 p.m. Monday that a horse was being abused in Hudson. The reporting party said the animal looked starved.
- During this timeframe, the Fremont County Emergency Dispatch Center took 143 calls for service, including two involving motor vehicle accidents. County ambulances were dispatched 47 times, and area fire departments responded to two calls for help. Fourteen people were booked into the Fremont County Detention Center for charges, including two for driving under the influence, one other alcohol related charge, two felony charges and 22 misdemeanor charges. The center currently is responsible for 138 inmates, including 128 at the facility, four in substance abuse treatment programs, one on home detention and five elsewhere.