News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Feb 4, 2014 - Staff
Margaret Boehler, 89, of Lander, died Monday, Feb. 3, at Westward Heights Care Center in Lander. Services are pending through Davis Funeral Home.
Dorothy Jean Chapman, 91, died Saturday, Feb. 1, at Sugar Creek Alzheimer's Special Care Center in Normal, Ill. A funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Feb. 7, at First Christian Church in Bloomington, Ill., with the Rev. Dr. Jim Warren officiating. Visitation will be 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, at Calvert-Metzler Funeral Home. A second funeral service and burial will be in Lowell, Mass., at a later date.
Joann Kanack, 71, of Riverton, died Monday, Jan. 27, at Wyoming Medical Center in Casper. Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, at Trinity Lutheran Church in Riverton. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery followed by a luncheon at the church.
Georgann Nelson, 77, of Riverton, died Friday, Jan. 31, at her home. Per her request, cremation has taken place, and there will be no services. Arrangements are under direction of Davis Funeral Home.
Robert "Bob" Norris, 70, of Atlantic City and Lander, died Friday, Jan. 31, at Wyoming Medical Center in Casper. A memorial service will be at a later date.
Ursula Sankey, 76, of St. Stephen's, died Friday, Jan. 31, at Lander Regional Hospital. A prayer service will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5, at Blue Sky Hall in Ethete. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, at St. Michael's Mission with burial at Wallowing Bull Cemetery.
Ronald Snyder Sr., 84, of Ethete, died Wednesday, Jan. 29, at Wyoming Medical Center in Casper. Funeral services were at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 4, at Rocky Mountain Hall in Fort Washakie. Burial will be in the Mill Creek family cemetery.
Stephen R. Stone, 61, died Friday, Jan. 31. There will be no services.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Sterlin Buffalomeat, 18, of Riverton, was arrested on a municipal warrant and for minor in possession of alcohol at about 12:30 a.m. Friday at a bar in the 500 block of East Main Street. Also arrested was Tyrone Lovejoy, 24, of Riverton, for assault and public intoxication, and Randy Weber, 23, of Riverton, on a municipal warrant.
- Lionel Quiver, 27, of Ethete, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 6:45 p.m. Friday in the 1400 block of North Smith Road.
- A 17-year-old Riverton girl and a 24-year-old Riverton man both were issued misdemeanor citations for child endangerment at about 11:15 p.m. Friday in the 1000 block of West Main Street. They were released with their promise to appear in court at a later date. The man also was cited for possess of a controlled substance (marijuana). Officials said the two were in a vehicle with their 2-year-old child, and the man was smoking marijuana.
- Stanley Bean, 36, of Hudson, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 12:10 a.m. Saturday at Walmart.
- Ten minors were issued misdemeanor citations for possession of alcohol at about 1 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of East Park Avenue: a 20-year-old Kinnear woman, two 19-year-old Riverton women, four 19-year-old Riverton men, a 17-year-old Riverton boy, a 17-year-old Arapahoe boy and a 15-year-old Riverton boy. They were released with their promise to appear in court at a later date. Officials said they were called to the scene of a loud party in the area; a window reportedly had been broken out of the house involved.
- Paula Cavaness, 66, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Eleanor Maldonado, 46, of Riverton, was arrested on a municipal warrant at about 11:30 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Apache Avenue.
- Ivan Prentup, 34, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication and interfering with a peace officer at about 1 p.m. Saturday in the 500 block of North Federal Boulevard. Officials said he refused to give pertinent information and attempted to walk away from officers.
- A 35-year-old Riverton woman and a 31-year-old Riverton man both were issued misdemeanor citations for shoplifting at about 1:40 p.m. Saturday at Walmart. They were released with their promise to appear in court at a later date.
- Christopher Monroe, 30, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant at about 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Riverton Memorial Hospital.
- Derek Cady, 18, of Riverton, was arrested on a municipal warrant at about 5:15 p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of West Fremont Avenue.
- Chauncey Friday, 47, of Riverton, and Garrett Revere, 55, of Riverton, both were arrested for disturbing the peace at about 10:20 p.m. Saturday at the Center of Hope, 223 W. Adams Ave. Officials said they were trying to fight.
- Michael Pauli, 30, of Riverton, was arrested for criminal trespass at about 1 p.m. Monday in the 300 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Nolan Wallowingbull, 55, of Ethete, was arrested for public intoxication and on a municipal warrant at about 2:45 p.m. Monday in the 1300 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Ophelia Spoonhunter, 27, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 3:45 p.m. Monday in the 900 block of West Main Street.
- Edward Brown, 54, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 5:15 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- A 46-year-old Fort Washakie man was issued a misdemeanor citation for shoplifting at about 5:50 p.m. Monday in the 1900 block of North Federal Boulevard. He was released with his promise to appear in court at a later date.
- Aloysius Piper, 46, of Fort Washakie, was arrested for public intoxication and on a municipal warrant at about 8 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Marc Cunningham, 34, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence and on Fremont County warrants at about 11:15 pm. Monday in the 1400 block of North Federal Boulevard.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Jesse Gonzalez, 27, of Riverton, was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and registration violation.
- Caleb Havens, 27, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence and interference with police at about 5:20 p.m. Friday in the 300 block of Baldwin Creek Road in Lander. Initial reports state he was driving erratically and threw a beer can out of his vehicle. Officials said they obtained a warrant to test his blood, and he refused.
- Lisa Vincent, 43, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation at about 11 a.m. Friday at the Fremont County Sheriff's Office.
- Max Wright, 33, of Pavillion, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of North 10th Street West in Riverton.
- An man reportedly was "banging on the doors" of apartments and yelling obscenities at about 9:20 a.m. Friday in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive. The reporting party said the man seemed intoxicated and had left the area in a white Blazer.
- A woman reported that a puppy was tied to a trampoline on a short leash with no food, water or shelter at about 9:20 a.m. Friday on Circle S Court in Lander.
- A dog reportedly was killing a man's chickens at about 1:40 p.m. Friday in the 10000 block of U.S. Highway 20 north of Shoshoni.
- Someone reportedly dumped trash at about 2:15 p.m. Friday outside of the gate of a Fremont County Solid Waste Disposal District site in the 100 block of Bushwacker Road west of Shoshoni.
- A dog was reported lost at about 2:30 p.m. Friday from Angler Road north of Kinnear. The woman said the dog "took off" Thursday.
- A dachshund was taken to the vet at about 3:20 p.m. Friday after a woman reported that the animal had been in the area of Sand Draw Road east of Riverton for the past couple of days with a broken leg.
- A vehicle reportedly hit a garage then left the scene at about 4:30 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of Cherry Street in Riverton.
- Two dogs reportedly were found at about 12:10 p.m. Saturday in the 2200 block of Squaw Creek Road in Lander.
- A baby horse reportedly was attacked and killed at about 3:40 p.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Marlatt Road east of Shoshoni. The reporting party thought a neighbor's dog had done the deed, but officials said the attack was perpetrated by an unknown predator. The incident is under investigation.
- About 15 cows reportedly were on the road at about 5 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of Green Street in Riverton. Multiple cows reportedly were in the same area at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday in the 1600 block of North Eighth Street West. A third report was made at about 6 p.m. Sunday, when 15 to 20 dark cows were out on the road in the 1700 block of North Eighth Street West. A motorist called police at about 10:16 p.m. Sunday to report a red cow out on the road in the 1400 block of North Eighth Street West. And cows reportedly were on the road at about 2:20 a.m. Monday in the 1600 block of North Eighth Street West.
- Firefighters from throughout the county converged on a structure fire at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Mill Creek Road. Officials said the single family home was engulfed in flames when they arrived on the scene. No one was injured in the blaze, which re-kindled at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday. The cause is under investigation. About 25 firefighters from the Lander Rural, Fort Washakie, Riverton Volunteer and Morton-Kinnear fire departments fought the blaze for about three hours.
- A woman reportedly was walking in the middle of the road at about 9:45 p.m. Sunday in the 9800 block of Wyoming Highway 789 in Riverton.