A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
Staff and patrons of the Derby Saloon in Shoshoni. Identifiable are Curly Schrader, Max Lockhart, Bob Porter, Steve Porter and a dog named Emma, pictured in 1917. Courtesy Riverton Museum
The way it was: Derby Saloon -- 1917
Feb 17, 2014 - Staff
Business was good at the Derby Saloon in Shoshoni in the spring of 1917. The 10-year-old town was on the Chicago and North Western Railroad, and local leaders ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
Business was good at the Derby Saloon in Shoshoni in the spring of 1917. The 10-year-old town was on the Chicago and North Western Railroad, and local leaders had reason to believe as many as a half-dozen other rail lines might converge there, making Shoshoni a crossroads town for passenger and freight rail.
A business district of some size was constructed in that first decade, surpassing that of Riverton, but Shoshoni didn't develop irrigated farmland as Riverton did, nor did the railroad spurs arrive as promised, either, although passenger traffic continued into the 1960s from nearby Bonneville, six miles away, and freight hauls continued from through Shoshoni from Casper to Riverton and Lander into the 1980s.
As for the Derby Saloon, established in 1906 shortly after the arrival of the C&NW and the "opening" of the Wind River Indian Reservation, it fell victim to the arrival of Prohibition two years after this picture was taken.