News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Feb 25, 2014 - Staff
Elizabeth Mae "Betty" Bogacz, 89, of Riverton, died Saturday, Feb. 22, at Help for Health in Riverton. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Feb. 28, at St. Margaret's Catholic Church. A viewing will be 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. before the service at Davis Funeral Home. Burial will be at Mountain View Cemetery.
Nancy (Judy) Viola Miller Cole, 79, of Arapahoe, died Monday, Feb. 24, at her daughter's home surrounded by family members. Memorial services will be at 3 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 27, at Davis Funeral Home.
Max H. Ecker, 60, of Riverton, died Monday, Feb. 24, at his home. A viewing will be 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28, at Davis Funeral Home. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, March 1, at Davis Funeral Home. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery.
Edythe Margaret McFarland, 95, died Wednesday, Feb. 19, in Denver. Cremation has taken place, and there will be no services. Her ashes will rest in the Ragged Mountains of Colorado.
Suzanne Jeffres, 67, of Riverton, died Sunday, Feb. 23, at her home.
Girl Scouts Cookie Boss Sign-up is 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. For more information, contact Desiree at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-736-5243.
Shoshone National Forest Public Meeting is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Pronghorn Lodge, 150 E. Main St., Lander.
Free Tax Preparation is 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in room 214 of the Health and Science Center at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. The income limit is roughly $52,000 to qualify for the free service.
"On The Ice" is at 7 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave.
Literacy Family Fun Night is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Fort Washakie School, 90 Ethete Road, Fort Washakie. The night will be full of reading Dr. Seuss books, making crafts, enjoying free food and watching Dr. Seuss videos.
Pathways Through Grief is 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Amedisys Home Health and Hospice, 514 E. Pershing Ave., Suite C, Riverton. For more information, contact Maria Sage at 856-6552 or email@example.com.
Scooter Brown Performance is at Bar 10, 114 S. Broadway Ave., Riverton.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- A resident in the 200 block of West Sunset Drive called police at about 11 a.m. Monday to report seeing a mountain lion. Witnesses said they saw tracks in the area measuring about 2 inches wide; officials from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department identified the prints as belonging to a small mountain lion or large bobcat. Residents are asked to keep pets and pet food inside and call the RPD at 856-4891 if the cat appears.
- Novita Jarvis, 28, of Lander, was arrested Friday on a warrant for contempt of court.
- Leta Santillanes, 34, of Ethete, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear and for contempt of court Friday.
- Joseph Brokenleg, 21, of Arapahoe, was arrested for interference and possession of a controlled substance Friday evening.
- Chandler Shakespeare, 22, of Ethete, was arrested for burglary and property destruction at about 5:30 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of East Pershing Avenue.
- Brad Merritt, 53, of Thermopolis, was arrested for probation violation at about 8 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of East Madison Avenue.
- Lloyd Pick, 26, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 11:50 pm. Saturday in the 100 block of North Third Street East.
- Jerald Friday, 51, of Riverton, was arrested for resisting arrest at about 1:15 a.m. Sunday in the 200 block of Major Avenue.
- Ardie LongSoldier, 44, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 2 a.m. Sunday in the 500 block of East Pershing Avenue.
- Gary Lee, 52, of Lander, was arrested for interference at about noon Sunday in the 700 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Tanner Carrico, 18, of Riverton, was arrested for battery and resisting arrest at about 3:45 p.m. Sunday in the 1800 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Chester Moss, 34, of St. Stephen's, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 3:50 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- Ronald Brown, 47, of St. Stephen's, was arrested for public intoxication at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the 200 block of East Main Street.
- Solana Sisneros, 18, of St. Stephen's, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 10:20 p.m. Sunday in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive. With her was Troy FastHorse, 22, of Riverton, who was arrested for battery, and Duane Medicine Cloud, 23, of Riverton, who was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court.
- Chauncey Friday, 47, of Ethete, was arrested for public intoxication at about 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Center of Hope, 223 W. Adams Ave.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Jacob Hughes, 21, of Pavillion, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of West Second Street in Shoshoni.
- Alicia Moore, 32, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday in the 600 block of North Second Street West in Riverton.
- A gold 2000 GMC Jimmy was reported stolen at about 11 a.m. Friday from the 600 block of Green Street in Riverton.
- A pit bull was reported to have "come after" a man at about 11 a.m. Friday in the 100 block of California Street in Shoshoni.
- A pit bull reportedly was at large at about noon Friday in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue. Initial reports state the animal attacked another dog in the area. No animals were killed; the incident is under investigation.
- Deputies assisted the Wyoming Highway Patrol with a vehicle that reportedly rolled over at about 7 p.m. Friday on South Pass. WHP officials said Mark Esau, 57, of Casper, was westbound in a 2001 Dodge Ram when he lost traction at mile marker 37 on Wyoming Highway 28. The pickup reportedly spun, slid sideways, crossed the center line and slid off of the road. The tires reportedly hit the deep snow, causing the vehicle to roll 1.5 times before coming to rest on its top. Esau reportedly suffered minor injuries to his legs and was treated at the scene. His passenger, wife Maureena Esau, 57, was uninjured. Troopers said the man was traveling at about 65 mph in a 55 mph zone; he was cited for improper lane use.
- Officials are investigating a head-on collision that was reported at about 9:15 a.m. Sunday on Disneyland road north of Pavillion. Reports state the two-vehicle accident involved a 1998 Pontiac driven by a 31-year-old Riverton woman and a 2003 Mazda pickup driven by a 24-year-old Fremont County woman. One of the vehicles reportedly slipped on ice and entered the oncoming lane, colliding with the other vehicle. No serious injuries were reported.
- Several snowmobiles were reported missing at about 9:30 a.m. Sunday from the 2300 block of Wyoming Highway 28 on South Pass.
- A dark-colored four-door Dodge pickup and a dark-colored Chevy Impala reportedly were in an accident at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday in the 4900 block of Wyoming Highway 28 on South Pass. No injuries were reported, and no citations were issued. A deputy said he came upon the accident, which involved a southbound 2005 Dodge Ram pickup truck driven by a 25-year-old Dubois man and a northbound 2006 Chevrolet Impala driven by a 19-year-old Cheyenne woman. Both vehicles reportedly were traveling at about 45 mph in weather conditions that included clouds, blowing snow and wind gusts up to 35 mph. The Dubois man reportedly hit a patch of ice and lost control of his pickup truck, sliding into the northbound lane and striking the side of the Impala. The incident was attributed to weather and road conditions, and there is no suspicion that alcohol or drugs were involved. Both vehicles were towed due to extensive damage.
- A man reportedly found a sheep dog at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday on top of Beaver Rim east of Riverton. He said he brought the animal to town with him; it had no collar or tags.
- Deputies assisted the Wyoming Highway Patrol with a two-vehicle crash at about 11 a.m. Monday at Honor Farm Road and Wyoming Highway 789. Officials said a red sedan driven by a middle-aged Riverton man was headed north on the highway intending to turn left onto Country Acres Road. Meanwhile, a middle-aged Riverton woman was attempting to turn left onto the highway from Country Acres Road in a Dodge pickup truck with a horse trailer. The pickup reportedly struck the red sedan; the female driver was issued a citation for failing to yield the right of way. No injuries were reported, though emergency medical crews responded to the scene. The road was blocked for several minutes.
- Officials are investigating a hit and run accident at about 1:50 p.m. Monday in the 1900 block of North Cougar Drive near Wind River High School in Pavillion. Initial reports state a motorist drove a vehicle through a guard rail in the area.