Mar 25, 2014 - StaffDeaths
Howard B. Cheney, 87, of Riverton, died Saturday, March 22, at home. Viewing and visitation will be noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 26, at Davis Funeral Home in Riverton. Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, March 28, at Pleasant View Cemetery in Plainview, Neb.
Leonard C. Gaines, 39, of Lander, died unexpectedly of natural causes Saturday, March 22. A viewing will be 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday, March 26, at Davis Funeral Home in Riverton. A celebration of life service will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 27, at Church of Christ, 1320 Sinks Canyon Road, Lander.
Gladys Hansen, 89, of Lander, died peacefully Monday, March 17, at Central Wyoming Hospice in Casper. A celebration of life service will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 29, at Lander Methodist Church. Reception will follow at the church. Private graveside services will be later that day at Mountain View Cemetery in Riverton.
Virginia A. Patterson, 89, died Wednesday, March 19, at Westward Heights Care Center in Lander. Funeral services were at 11 a.m. Tuesday, March 25, at First Church of the Nazarene in Lander with Pastor Phillip Ferguson officiating.
John Innes Philp, 92, a lifelong Fremont County resident, died Friday, March 21. A viewing will be 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, March 27, and funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Friday, March 28, at Davis Funeral Home in Riverton. Burial will follow at the Shoshoni Cemetery with a reception at the Shoshoni Senior Citizen Center.
Lander Jackalope Jump is at Lander Valley High School, 400 Baldwin Creek Road.
Retirement Open House for Katy Jost is 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. March 26 in the community room at Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. Jost is retiring after 13 years of working at the Riverton Branch Library. She also worked for many years at the Jackson Elementary library.
Wyoming Game and Fish Department Open House is at 6 p.m. at the Jeffrey City fire hall. The department seeks thoughts, ideas and questions regarding the 2014 hunting season proposals (big game, small game, game birds, waterfowl and wild bison).
Free Tax Preparation is 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in room 214 of the Health and Science Center at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. The income limit is roughly $52,000 to qualify for the free service. For more information, call Willie Noseep at 855-2149.
Taize Worship Service is at 7 p.m. at St. James Episcopal Church, 519 E. Park Ave., Riverton. This is a quiet time of meditation to music from the Taize community in France, with scripture readings and candlelight. Event is open to the public.
Pathways Through Grief is 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Amedisys Home Health and Hospice, 514 E. Pershing Ave., Suite C, Riverton. The seminar is a special six-week support group for those wishing to understand and move past the pain experienced through the loss of a loved one. Seminar is free, but space is limited. For more information, contact Maria Sage at 856-6552 or email@example.com.
Wyoming Game and Fish Department Open House is at 6 p.m. at the Riverton Fire Academy. The department seeks thoughts, ideas and questions regarding the 2014 hunting season proposals (big game, small game, game birds, waterfowl and wild bison).
Last of the First Skiers Presentation is at 7 p.m. in the Health and Science Center auditorium at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. National Geographic writer Mark Jenkins will speak about his latest adventure with Asian tribesmen who access their hunting grounds on ancient-style skis. Event is free and open to the public.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Rosalie Willow, 28, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 12:45 a.m. Friday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Eldon Antelope, 49, of Riverton, was arrested for criminal entry and criminal trespass at about 9:30 pm. Friday in the 800 block of East Lincoln Avenue.
- Rodney Jealousofhim, 51, of Ethete, and Ronald Benally, 42, of Fort Washakie, both were arrested for public intoxication just after midnight Saturday in the 700 block of North Federal Boulevard. Jealousofhim was arrested again later, for urinating in public, public intoxication and resisting arrest at about 4:40 p.m. Monday in the 700 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Lenny Monroe, 32, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 7 pm. Saturday in the 1600 block of North Smith Road.
- Sandra Edwards, 52, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 8:40 p.m. Sunday in the 200 block of South 12th Street East. The initial call was regarding a family fight.
- Broderick Hopper, 19, of Pavillion, was arrested for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, driving under suspension, resisting arrest and on a warrant for failure to appear at about 7 a.m. Monday in the 500 block of West Adams Avenue. The initial call was regarding the theft of a car.
- Chauncey Friday, 47, of Ethete, was arrested for public intoxication at about 4:40 p.m. Monday in the 500 block of North Broadway Avenue.
- Ronald Brown, 47, of St. Stephen's, was arrested for public intoxication at about 8:20 p.m. Monday in the 700 block of North Federal Boulevard.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Sidney Berry, 38, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- James Blackburn, 31, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence battery.
- Lorenzo Eagle, 21, of Casper, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- Cathy Groesbeck, 42, of Fort Washakie, was arrested on two Fremont County warrants for probation revocation.
- Jordan Murray, 29, of Dubois, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 9 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of Clendenning Street in Dubois.
- Rocky Yeates, 45, of Riverton, was arrested for probation violation at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the 900 block of Linda Lee Street in Riverton. Reports state he failed a blood-alcohol test.
- David Ferris, 46, of Ethete, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- Veronica Moss, 22, of Riverton, was arrested on Fremont County warrants for failure to appear and probation revocation and on a Natrona County warrant at about 4 p.m. Monday in the 100 block of Norkok Street in Fort Washakie.
- Unknown persons called the FCSO at about 1:30 pm. Friday to report that a man had stopped his vehicle in the 6600 block of U.S. Highway 26 south of Dubois and threatened them with a firearm. Deputies reportedly contacted the subject, who stated that the reporting party had been tailgating him for several miles when he stopped his vehicle along the side of the road to see what the problem was. He reportedly said he did not have a firearm, and deputies did not locate a gun in the area. The reporting party did not answer phone calls or respond to messages requesting further information; the call was deemed unfounded.
- Theft was reported at about 2:30 p.m. Saturday from the 300 block of North Hidden Valley Road southwest of Shoshoni. The reporting party said they are missing a drill press, a generator and a welder, among other items.
- The Wyoming Highway Patrol investigated a one-vehicle rollover at about 8:15 a.m. Monday in the 11500 block of Wyoming Highway 789 north of Riverton.
- A vehicle reportedly went off the road and into a fence at about 4:40 p.m. Monday on Honor Farm Road north of Riverton.
- Three cars reportedly were involved in an accident at about 5:15 p.m. Monday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard in Riverton. Initial reports state a black passenger car rear-ended a pickup truck after being rear-ended by a white van. Other motorists reportedly were able to maneuver around the crash.
- Officials said a 12-year-old boy was injured at about 7:10 p.m. Sunday when his older brother accidentally shot him in the buttocks with a .45 caliber handgun at their home in Kinnear. The older boy reportedly called the police, and the 12-year-old was taken to Riverton Memorial Hospital for treatment. Deputies determined the older brother was unloading the firearm when the negligent discharge occurred.
- A vehicle reportedly "crashed into a cement post" at about 6 a.m. Tuesday in the 1700 block of North Eighth Street West in Riverton. The incident is under investigation; those involved reportedly fled the scene.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.