Mar 26, 2014 - By Katie Roenigk, Staff WriterFire investigators say the fire that destroyed a single-family dwelling Monday evening began when grease ignited on the stove.
No one was injured in the incident, which was reported at about 5:40 p.m. Monday from the 700 block of White Hawk Drive off of Mill Creek Road east of Fort Washakie.
Fremont County Fire Protection District chief Craig Haslam said the family, including children, was home at the time, but the occupants were able to evacuate the building safely.
"They called (police) and were told to get out," Haslam said.
He added that the family has a place to stay.
Half of the home was involved in flames when a crew of about 22 firefighters arrived on the scene with nine pieces of apparatus, Haslam continued.
They stayed in the area for more than two hours; no other structures were threatened by the fire.
Haslam warned residents to be careful when cooking, though he noted the individuals involved in the incident Monday didn't necessarily do anything wrong.
Regardless, Haslam said people should have a fire extinguisher or baking soda handy when using the stove, and all homes should be equipped with smoke detectors.
"Always keep your stoves clean, and don't throw water on a grease fire," Haslam said.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.