A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
May 1, 2014 - Staff
In Wednesday's Ranger, the page one story "Valdez will be seventh president" should have said Central Wyoming College hired Walter ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
In Wednesday's Ranger, the page one story "Valdez will be seventh president" should have said Central Wyoming College hired Walter Palmberg as its inaugural president in 1966. He was succeeded by Dr. William W. Day and then by Dr. Richard St. Pierre.
Norval "Ozzie" Bapst, 84, of Riverton, died Tuesday, April 29, at his home. A viewing will be noon to 2 p.m. Monday, May 5, at Davis Funeral Home. A funeral service will follow the viewing with Pastor Ed Murray officiating. Burial with full military honors will follow at Mountain View Cemetery. A dinner will follow the burial at the family home, 3935 Sandy Drive, Riverton.
Donald Charles Golaszewski, 71, died Wednesday, April 30, at Riverton Memorial Hospital. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Monday, May 5, at Davis Funeral with the Rev. Lloyd Eckstein officiating. Interment will follow at Mountain View Cemetery. Military graveside rites will be accorded by the Friday-Truan Detachment 683 Marine Corp League and Veterans. A visitation will be 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, May 4, at Davis Funeral Home.
Robert L. Jackson, 96, of Lander, died Saturday, April 26, at Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Wind River in Riverton. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 3, in the Chapel of Mount Hope at Hudson's Funeral Home with Pastor Mark Calhoun officiating. Burial will take place at Mount Hope Cemetery.
Janis E. Matthews, 64, formerly of Riverton, died Friday, April 25, at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Rochester, Minn., following a long and courageous battle with cancer. Funeral services will be at noon Monday, May 5, at the First Presbyterian Church in Moorcroft with Pastor Shayla Graham officiating. Interment will be at noon Tuesday, May 6, at Glenrock Cemetery in Glenrock.
Annual Wyoming Artists Association Convention is May 2 to May 4 at the Headwaters Arts and Conference Center, 20 Stalnaker St., Dubois. The theme for this year's event is "Come Fly With Me."
Dance Competition is at the Wind River Hotel and Casino, 10269 Wyoming 789, Riverton. For more information, call 856-3964.
Potters of the Wind River Mother's Day Show and Sale is 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Coalter Loft, 126 Main St., Lander.
Lander Dancing With The Stars is 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Inn at Lander, 260 Grandview Drive. Tickets are $60. For more information, call 332-0454 or visit dancingwiththestarslander.com.
"Carmina Burana" is at 7:30 p.m. at the Robert A. Peck Arts Center Theater at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. The Collegiate Chorale and guest singers will perform "Carmina Burana," a scenic cantata composed by Carl Orff in 1935 and 1936, based on 24 poems from the medieval collection "Carmina Burana."
In Riverton Police Department reports Wednesday to Thursday morning:
- Rodney Carver, 40, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 2600 block of East Monroe Avenue.
- Zachary Bolte, 25, of Riverton, was arrested for child endangering and on a warrant for failure to appear at about 3:10 p.m. Wednesday in the 600 block of West Fremont Avenue.
- Cordell Washington, 40, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication at about 9:45 p.m. Wednesday at Riverton Memorial Hospital.
- Ardie LongSoldier, 44, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 10 p.m. Wednesday in the 200 block of North Federal Boulevard.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office reports Wednesday to Thursday morning:
- Charlie Marie Whiteman, 36, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation.
- Theodore Tyrell Moss, 26, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic battery.
- During this timeframe, the Fremont County Emergency Dispatch Center took 48 calls for service. County ambulances were dispatched 16 times, and area fire departments responded to seven calls for help. Eight people were booked into the Fremont County Detention Center for charges, including two alcohol-related charges and 11 misdemeanor charges. The center currently is responsible for 128 inmates, including 114 at the facility, 10 in substance abuse treatment programs, one on home detention and three elsewhere.