News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
School board recognizes Science Olympiad teams
May 16, 2014 - By Alejandra Silva, Staff Writer
The Fremont County School District 25 Board of Trustees took a moment during a recent meeting to acknowledge the Riverton Middle School Science Olympiad team and its success at the district convention. Science teacher Aziz Waheed said the team brought home 40 medals, and the team will travel to Florida for the nationals competition in May.
In other action, the board:
- approved an out of state travel request for the Future Business Leaders of America to travel to Nashville in June for nationals;
- approved an out of state travel request for the RMS Science Olympiad team to travel to Orlando, Fla., in May;
- approved the resignations of Riverton High School dance coaches Kristy Richmond and Aimee Linck;
- approved a resignation from Alternative School history teacher Keith Braneis effective at the end of the school year;
- appointed Larry Foster for the open recreation board position;
- approved a contract in the amount of $3,150 with Nelson Architects, LLC for the Alternative School parking lot project;
- and approved to offer a contract to Nik Cessna as a social studies teacher at Riverton High School.
The school board also was informed that the boys soccer players and coaches received the Wyoming High School Activities Association Good Sportsmanship Award.
Other items included:
- Aspen Park food service employee Polly Anderson resigned;
- Stuart Mullins will transfer positions from high school resource teacher to a behavior interventionist;
- Jacqueline Harris will transfer from Rendezvous Elementary School speech therapist to RMS speech/language pathologist;
- and special services director Dallas Myers presented a reconfiguration of positions at the Special Services/Alternative School because of the recent retirement of two employees. Two positions would be altered, two others would be eliminated and one position would be added. Six job descriptions were changed as a result of the reconfiguration.