May 28, 2014 The Associated Press

Safe holiday on roadways

CHEYENNE -- The Wyoming Highway Patrol says that so far, it has received no reports of fatal crashes in Wyoming over the Memorial Day weekend.

Patrol officials say that's good news after 12 people died in nine separate crashes earlier this month.

Memorial Day kicks off the busy summer traveling season in Wyoming. The Highway Patrol says the summer months typically are the most dangerous time of year to travel on Wyoming's highways.

State park death not suspicious

GLENDO -- A man found dead in Glendo State Park Monday had been living in Lingle before his death.

Public documents listed 59-year-old Lonnie Harold Hauf as being from Cheyenne but state park spokesman Gary Schoene confirmed he had been living in Lingle lately.

Hauf was found early on Memorial Day on the shoulder of Whiskey Gulch Road, apparently dead of natural causes. He had been camping there and was last been seen alive the night before.

Friend Paul DeBock says Hauf farmed in Huntley until suffering a heart attack in his early 40s.

He says his Hauf will be buried next to his parents in Mitchell, Nebraska on Monday.

Unwanted phone books targeted

JACKSON -- The Jackson Town Council wants to try to stop the delivery of unwanted phone books.

Councilors voted 3-0 Tuesday to draft a new law aimed at cutting down deliveries made without people's consent. They also agreed to meet with representatives of phone book companies to discuss other solutions.

Details of how the possible new law would work haven't been determined. It could require companies to pick up unused phone books.

The council began talking about the issue in December.

Other communities have tried to tax or ban unwanted phone books. A law passed in Seattle was overturned by a circuit court that found the books are non-commercial speech protected by the First Amendment.

Building fire probe finished

LARAMIE -- City officials in Laramie say an investigation is finished but a report is still pending on a fire that destroyed a downtown building.

The fire broke out at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters spent about four hours bringing the flames under control.

City officials aren't releasing the fire's suspected cause for now.

Fire officials say two apartment residents were unaccounted for on the day of the fire but turned out to be vacationing out of town.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...