A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
Jun 10, 2014 - Staff
Judy Bates, 69, of Riverton, died Sunday, June 8, at her home. A memorial service will be in ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
Judy Bates, 69, of Riverton, died Sunday, June 8, at her home. A memorial service will be in August.
Edward Norbert Bindl, 69, died Friday, June 6, after a short illness in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, surrounded by family and loved ones. A viewing will be 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday, June 11, at the American Legion Home in Fort Bridger. Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday, June 12, at the Fort Bridger Cemetery, and a luncheon will follow at the Legion Home.
Ward Dwyer, 76, of Riverton, died Thursday, June 5. Services are pending through Davis Funeral Home.
Shannon Maria Hurtado died Saturday, June 7, in her home in Fort Washakie. Visitation will begin at 5 p.m. and continue overnight at the family home, 28 Crooked Creek Lane. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, June 12, in Rocky Mountain Hall. Burial will follow in the Sacajawea Cemetery.
Violet "Vi" Fleak, 85, of Riverton, died Monday, June 9, at SageWest Health Care at Riverton. A viewing will be 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, June 12, at Davis Funeral Home. A funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Friday, June 13, at Davis Funeral Home with DOES memorial rights. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery.
Patricia Havercamp, of Riverton, died Tuesday, June 10, at her home. Arrangements are pending through Davis Funeral Home.
Lawrence Daniel Jenkins, 32, of St. Stephen's, died Sunday, June 8, at SageWest Health Care at Riverton. A rosary and wake will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, June 12, at 1641 17 Mile Road. A funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Friday, June 13, at St. Stephen's Catholic Church. Burial will be at the Arapahoe Catholic Cemetery.
R. H. "Lefty" Walters, 88, formerly of Riverton, died Tuesday, May 27, at Wyoming Medical Center in Casper, surrounded by family and friends. A memorial celebration will be at a later date.
Dennis Zoller, 67, of Riverton, died Friday, June 6, at SageWest Health Care at Riverton. A memorial gathering and carry-in dinner will be 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 10, at the Riverton Elks. Inurnment will take place at a later date at the Oregon Trail State Veterans Cemetery in Evansville.
One Book Wyoming: Book Discussion is at 6:30 p.m. at Hudson Yablonski Memorial Library. The community is invited to read "Spirit of Steamboat" by Craig Johnson and attend corresponding events. For more information, visit www.onebookwyoming.com.
Guided Juice Reboot is 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in downtown Riverton. Classes run for three weeks. Fee is $45 a person or $75 a couple. To register, visit www.goldenyearslifestyle.com or call (701) 595-0466.
One Book Wyoming: Book Discussion is at 5:30 p.m. at Fort Washakie Community Library, 90 Ethete Road. The community is invited to read "Spirit of Steamboat" by Craig Johnson and attend corresponding events. For more information, visit www.onebookwyoming.com.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- The RPD reminds residents that the City of Riverton does not allow fireworks over the Fourth of July holiday. People are allowed to have their own firework celebrations in Lander.
- Police were called at about 5:20 a.m. Friday to reports of a burglary in the 100 block of Shoshone Drive. A woman said two men had knocked on her door and asked to talk to her boyfriend. She said the two men pulled out a small, black handgun and demanded money from her boyfriend as he lay in bed; they reportedly said he owed them money. Eventually she said the men took her television and her cell phone and left the scene in a small, red sport utility vehicle. An investigation is ongoing.
- Wallace Jenkins, 32, of Arapahoe, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 9 a.m. Friday in the 1300 block of South Federal Boulevard. With him was Michael Manderson, 31, of St. Stephen's, who was arrested for possession of marijuana and on a warrant for contempt of court. The initial call was regarding a subject sleeping in a white Dodge pickup truck in front of someone's residence. During the booking process, an officer reportedly did a final search of Manderson's person and found a small pipe wrapped in duct tape in the front right pocket of his shorts. The pipe reportedly smelled of burnt marijuana and contained residue that tested positive for the drug.
- Matthew Smith, 22, of Kinnear, was arrested for driving under the influence, driving under suspension and duty to report a motor vehicle accident at about 10:40 a.m. Friday in the 1400 block of West Main Street. He reportedly drove a red Pontiac into a business sign then fled the area on foot. Reports state he was located at the intersection of Park Avenue and Pinecrest Street. Officials said they found several cans of dust-off in the vehicle.
- Dahkota Pettet, 21, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence assault at about 8:15 p.m. Friday in the 1300 block of South Federal Boulevard. The initial call was from a man who said he had been assaulted by his wife. Officers said they saw redness, swelling and scratches on his forehead and neck, and he also had a split lip. Pettet reportedly said that he had slapped her, but officers could not identify any redness or swelling on her face.
- Frantasia Maldonado, 25, of Riverton, was arrested for vandalism to a vehicle at about 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 300 block of Birch Avenue. The initial report came from a man who said his girlfriend had slashed his tires and would not leave him alone.
- Michael Prosser, 42, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence assault at about 10 p.m. Friday in the 300 block of North 15th Street East. The initial call was regarding a father who was fighting with his adult son. Officers on scene said the son, who is in his early 20s, had blood coming from his nose and a laceration on his lower lip. Prosser reportedly had blood on his face and hands. The son reportedly said Prosser had had a couple of beers and had started acting aggressive toward a teenage boy at the house --the victim's younger brother. The victim reportedly intervened, and the dad punched him in the face. The victim also said he punched his dad in the face, and at some point the dad delivered a knee strike to the victim's mouth.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- A home reportedly was "broken into" at about 10:10 a.m. Friday in Hudson.
- No one was injured at about 1:30 p.m. Friday when a woman reportedly rolled her vehicle on Ore Road in the Jeffrey City area.
- Devon Energy reported some copper wire stolen at about 2 p.m. Friday on Beaver Creek Road.
- The Wind River Police Department handled a call at about 2:45 p.m. Friday on Rendezvous Road regarding a vehicle containing people "all on meth." The suspect vehicle reportedly came close to hitting another vehicle.
- A vehicle reportedly was "power sliding" at about 5 p.m. Friday on Sunnyside Avenue in Riverton.
- Brandon Smiley, 28, of Riverton, was arrested for child endangering, reckless endangering, driving under suspension, duty to report property damage, and on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 8 p.m. Friday on Firethorn Lane in Riverton. The arrest was connected to a traffic accident at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday in the 200 block of Bee Road north of Riverton. Officials said Smiley had lost control of a 2003 GMC truck and veered through a fence, becoming stuck in a ditch. When officers arrived at the scene, they said four uninjured passengers --two 16-year-old girls, a 16-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man, all from Fremont County --were standing around the vehicle. They reportedly identified Smiley as the driver and said he had fled the scene for unknown reasons. Smiley's son, an 8-year-old boy, was in the car; he reportedly was wearing a seatbelt during the accident and was unharmed. Later, the boy was reunited with his mother. Smiley did not return to the crash scene or contact law enforcement; he was found Friday evening "hiding" in a residence on Firethorn.