News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Jul 2, 2014 - Staff
Alma J. Dolan, 70, of Pavillion, died Saturday, June 28, at her home. Per her request, cremation has taken place. Inurnment will be at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, July 3, at the Chief Washakie Cemetery. A celebration of life service will follow at 2 p.m. at the Nicol Ranch.
Wendell Victor Shields Sr., 85, of Lander, died Saturday, June 28, at home. A celebration memorial will be at 11 a.m. Monday, July 7, at Hudson's Funeral Home in Lander.
1838 Mountain Man Rendezvous is July 2 to July 6 in Riverton.
120th Pioneer Days/Fourth of July Parade and Rodeo is July 3 to July 4 in Lander. Day begins at 6 a.m. with the 30th Annual Lander Half Marathon, followed by a buffalo barbecue at noon in Lander City Park, and a rodeo at 6:30 p.m. at the Lander Fairgrounds.
Fourth of July Celebration is in Dubois. Day includes a parade at 2 p.m., duck race and fireworks.
One Book Wyoming: Book-Signing is after the parade in the Caboose at Jaycee Park in Lander. Author Craig Johnson will meet with the public and sell and sign books.
Pancake Breakfast is at 7 a.m. at the Senior Citizen's Center, 205 S. 10th St., Lander. The menu includes pancakes, sausage, orange juice and coffee. Cost is $5 per person.
Paxton Cady Memorial Bull Riding is at 6 p.m. at the Triple X Rodeo Arena, Willow Creek Road, Lander. For more information, 332-3687 or 330-8639.
Pioneer Days Rodeo is at 6:30 p.m. at 2 Rodeo Drive, Lander. Admission is $3 to $7. For more information, call 332-3892 or visit landerchamber.org.
In Riverton Police Department reports Monday to Tuesday morning:
- A silver 2010 GMC Denali sustained more than $1,000 in damage after a hit and run accident that was reported at about 9 a.m. Monday from Walmart, 1733 N. Federal Blvd. The reporting party said the incident took place in the past week.
- Two red mountain bikes worth $75 each were reported missing at about 9:30 a.m. Monday from a home in the 400 block of Elizabeth Drive. Police have no suspects.
- John Chavez, 32, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .24 at about 10 a.m. Monday in the 700 block of East Fremont Avenue. According to reports, he was one of two men who were "under a tree drinking." The other man reportedly was "being decent" and so was not arrested.
- A man called police at about 4 p.m. Monday to report someone had stolen some checks from him and spent about $538 total at two local grocery stores. There are no suspects.
- A $700 Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone was reported stolen at about 4:20 p.m. Monday. It reportedly was taken Saturday night from a bar in the 200 block of East Main Street. The reporting party said the phone is being used to make calls from Mexico; it has been turned off.
- A 16-year-old Riverton boy was listed as a runaway at about 7:30 p.m. Monday in the 700 block of Eagle Drive. Officials said the boy is trying to become emancipated from his family.
- The Bureau of Indian Affairs reportedly located a stolen vehicle at about 8:20 p.m. Monday on Rendezvous Road. Reports state several people fled from the 2014 GMC Acadia when a BIA officer attempted a traffic stop. The $52,000 vehicle reportedly was stolen over the weekend from Fremont Motors in Riverton; it was returned to the car lot. Several identifying items were found in the car; officials said the BIA will pursue charges.
- Tara Brown, 30, of Arapahoe, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 10:50 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard. She reportedly turned herself in.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office reports Monday to Tuesday morning:
- A 17-year-old Riverton girl was transported to SageWest Health Care at Riverton to be treated for "serious injuries" after a one-vehicle rollover at about noon Monday in the 300 block of Burma Road north of Riverton. Reports state she was the driver and sole occupant of a southbound 2001 Subaru Outback. The girl said she was distracted by her cell phone and failed to negotiate a corner. She reportedly lost control of the vehicle and overcorrected twice before the Outback left the roadway and overturned about two times. Officials said the girl was unrestrained and was ejected from the vehicle during the rollover. Witnesses reportedly stayed with her until emergency crews arrived to transport her to the hospital.
- The Wyoming Highway Patrol investigated a two-vehicle accident reported at about 2:15 p.m. Monday from the 10800 block of Wyoming Highway 789 just south of Riverton.
- A 19-year-old Dubois man was issued a citation at about 7 p.m. Monday after he reportedly threw a burning substance out of a vehicle in the 100 block of South Third Street in Dubois. The reporting party said the substance caught some grass on fire; he extinguished the blaze.
- Benjamin Piper, 49, of Arapahoe, was arrested for pedestrian under the influence.