A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
Jul 15, 2014 - Staff
A son was born to Jessica Klein of Pavillion and Garrett Klein of Pavillion at 5:21 p.m. May 8 at SageWest Health Care at ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
A son was born to Jessica Klein of Pavillion and Garrett Klein of Pavillion at 5:21 p.m. May 8 at SageWest Health Care at Riverton. The baby weighed 6 pounds, 11.7 ounces.
A daughter was born to Jessica Leseberg of Shoshoni and Craig Leseberg of Shoshoni at 6:25 p.m. May 9 at SageWest Health Care at Lander. The baby weighed 7 pounds, 8 ounces.
Larry Charles Obert, 66, of Riverton, died Thursday, July 10. Graveside services will be at 1 p.m. Thursday, July 17, at Mountain View Cemetery with military rites by the Friday-Truan Detachment 683, Marine Corp League and Veterans.
Irma Eileen (Welch) Tomberlin, 89, formerly of Riverton, died Friday, July 11, in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Visitation is at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 16, at Eagle Rock Baptist Church, 1080 S. Bellin Road, Idaho Falls, Idaho. Funeral services will follow at 11 a.m. Burial will take place at 9 a.m. Friday, July 18, at Willow Grove Cemetery in Buffalo.
Chalk the Walk Festival is 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. Includes live music by the Lost Springs Band and a sidewalk art contest. For more information, call the library at 856-3556. This is a Riverton Rendezvous event.
Live Music on the Lawn, hosted by the Community Room Project, is at 7 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. The featured artist is the Lost Springs Band. Donations will be accepted. Attendees should bring a lawn chair or blanket. For more information, call the library at 856-3556.
Cowboy Tough Adventure Race in Wind River Country is July 17 to July 18 in Fremont County.
One Book Wyoming: Book Discussion is at 12:30 p.m. at the Senior Citizen's Center, 205 S. 10th St., Lander. The community is invited to read "Spirit of Steamboat" by Craig Johnson and attend corresponding events. For more information, visit www.onebookwyoming.com.
One Book Wyoming: Book Discussion is at 7 p.m. at Lapeyre Restaurant, 203 E. Main St., Riverton. The community is invited to read "Spirit of Steamboat" by Craig Johnson and attend corresponding events. For more information, visit www.onebookwyoming.com.
Jalan Crossland Concert is at 7 p.m. at the Museum of the American West, 1445 Main St., Lander. Tickets available at the door.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Two 17-year-old Ethete boys were issued citations for unlawful use of a toxic substance at about 12:10 a.m. Friday at the Gem Theater, 119 S. Third St. E. Police were responding to reports that several juveniles were huffing air; the teens were released to responsible adults.
- Someone reportedly placed a garden trowel through a vent in an air conditioning unit overnight Thursday to Friday in the 200 block of West Sunset Drive. The resident said the temperature in his house was 80 degrees when he woke up at about 12:15 a.m. Friday and found the trowel blocking the motor in his air conditioning unit. He called police again at about 9:30 a.m. Monday to report that someone had put the trowel back in his air conditioning unit. No damage was reported, and there are no suspects
- Someone reportedly egged a house at about 1 a.m. Friday in the 1000 block of Sierra Drive. No damage was reported.
- A blue mountain bike was reported stolen at about 11:45 a.m. Friday in the 900 block of West Main Street. The reporting party said the bike went missing about two weeks ago.
- A metallic, light blue Roadmaster mountain bike reportedly was found "in weeds" at about 12:40 p.m. Friday in the 1200 block of North 16th Street East. It was placed in the RPD impound.
- Taylor Whitt, 20, of Riverton, was arrested for contempt of court at about 1 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of East Madison Avenue.
- A man reportedly stole a customer's food at about 6:40 p.m. Friday from El Sol de Mexico, 711 E. Main St. Reports state the man ordered his own $34.25 meal by phone; he reportedly became upset when he arrived at the restaurant because the food was not ready. The man reportedly became "loud and verbally abusive" and took someone else's to-go order without paying for it. The other patron reportedly agreed to wait for her food to be made again.
- William Klaproth, 21, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .27 at about 5 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of South Third Street West. According to reports, he had entered a home in the area and fallen asleep in the kitchen; the homeowner said she didn't know him.
- John Chavez, 32, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .35 at about 6:45 a.m. Saturday in the 800 block of East Main Street. Someone had called to report that a male subject was "passed out" by the tennis courts at City Park.
- A 22-year-old Riverton woman was issued a citation for animal cruelty at about 2 p.m. Saturday in the 1400 block of Aspen Drive. Initial reports state her dog was tied up in an area with no shade available. The animal reportedly was trying to stand in a bucket to cool off.
- A man reportedly was found sleeping under a vehicle at about 5:40 a.m. Sunday in the 1400 block of North Federal Boulevard. Police said he was not intoxicated and was given a ride to a friend's house.
- Reuben Behan, 28, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 8:40 a.m. Sunday in the 800 block of East Main Street. Officers on patrol reportedly saw him sitting on a bench.
- A 49-year-old Riverton man was issued a citation for no insurance, driving under suspension and no ignition interlock device at about 10:40 a.m. Sunday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard. Initial reports state the man was falling asleep in a restaurant before he got into his vehicle; he reportedly came close to hitting a parked car and power pole. When he spoke with police, he reportedly said he had taken some valium.
- A 6-year-old boy suffered "very slight" injuries after a two-vehicle accident at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday in the 900 block of East Pershing Avenue. Officials said the incident involved a blue 2004 Kawasaki motorcycle and a gray 2005 Toyota. The 6-year-old reportedly was a passenger on the motorcycle and had a bump on his eye and shin. He was taken to SageWest Health Care at Riverton for assessment.
- Police spoke with a woman at about 11:15 a.m. Monday who said she had been the victim of identity theft. She reportedly received a vehicle loan denial letter in the mail dated July 10, but she said she had not applied for a vehicle loan. The company that sent the letter said someone from New York, Penn., had applied online for the loan June 24 using the woman's social security number.
- Stefan Bigmedicine, 31, of St. Stephen's, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 11:45 a.m. Monday in the 800 block of East Main Street. Reports state a group of subjects was drinking on a bench in City Park.
- A bottle of Captain Morgan rum reportedly was stolen at about 1 p.m. Monday from Woodwards Liquor, 617 N. Federal Blvd.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Deputies assisted the Wyoming Highway Patrol with a traffic disruption involving a bear at about 7:20 pm. Friday in the 3000 block of U.S. Highway 26 west of Dubois. Initial reports state people were pulling over to take pictures of the animal; deputies were asked to "help keep people away."
- Tristan Robinson, 28, of Lander, was arrested for domestic violence battery and on a Campbell County warrant at about 2:45 a.m. Sunday in the 200 block of Lyons Valley Road outside of Lander.
- Fremont County Search and Rescue ground units evacuated an injured hiker at about 1 p.m. Sunday from Christina Lake. Initial reports state the woman had fallen and hurt her ankle.
- A vehicle reportedly rolled and hit a power pole at about 8:10 p.m. Sunday in the 700 block of Rendezvous Road south of Riverton. Initial reports state a girl was missing from the vehicle. The incident was handled by the Wind River Police Department; no additional information was available.
- Heather King, 30, of Rosemead, Calif., was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- Sky Lovato, 27, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant out of Colorado at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday at the Center of Hope, 223 W. Adams Ave.
- Christian Salzman, 21, of Riverton, was arrested for probation violation.
- Dawn Aragon, 48, of Fort Washakie, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 4 p.m. Monday at the Fremont County Sheriff's Office in Lander.