News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Aug 5, 2014 - Staff
Riverton Welcome to Central Wyoming College President Valdez is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton.
Annual Youth Celebration is at 5 p.m. at the Wind River Hotel and Casino, 10269 Wyoming 789, Riverton. All Fremont County students in grades K-12 are invited to attend the free carnival where 2,500 backpacks filled with school supplies will be given away. Other activities include a free barbecue, inflatable bounce houses and snow cones.
Soup and Support, a monthly support group for caregivers, is 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Frontier Home Health and Hospice, 514 E. Pershing Ave., Riverton. Lunch will be provided. The documentary "Homes on the Range" will be shown. For more information, call Ronda Hatfield at 332-2686.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Dawson Smith, 29, of Riverton, and Candace Redman, 33, of Riverton, both were arrested for domestic violence and breach of peace at about 4 a.m. Friday in the 900 block of Mary Anne Drive. Police were responding to reports about a fight at their home; Smith said he and Redman were fighting because his ex-wife had dropped his kids off at the house. His blood-alcohol content was .09, and Redman's was .15.
- A street cleaner reportedly kicked up a rock and broke a window at about 10 a.m. Friday in the 400 block of East Fremont Avenue.
- Guadalupe Cohea, 27, of Hudson, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about noon Friday in the 600 block of East Lincoln Avenue. She reportedly called the police to report that the father of her daughter was driving drunk with the girl in a maroon 2000 Nissan Maxima. Police contacted the man and said he was not intoxicated.
- Charlie Whiteman, 37, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 2 p.m. Friday at Walmart. Someone had called police to report that a child was being "thrown" into a white Chevy pickup truck through a window. Whiteman said his daughter had been handed to him through the window, not thrown. Police said the girl was in good health.
- A 46-year-old Ethete man was taken to SageWest Health Care with a blood-alcohol content of .64 at about 5:40 p.m. Friday. He reportedly was found in City Park, 800 E. Main St.
- An 18-year-old Arapahoe man reported that someone had stolen his camouflage wallet containing $350 and two debit cards at about 5:40 p.m. Friday from a car wash in the 500 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- A 27-year-old Arapahoe woman was issued a citation for shoplifting at about 8 p.m. Friday at Walmart. She reportedly took a $4 cell phone case, a $4.47 package of fuses and a $1.97 package of test leads. She reportedly had $100 in her possession.
- Officers responded at about 8:30 p.m. Friday to reports of vandalism in the 200 block of East Madison Avenue. A man said someone had scratched his 1988 Chevy Corsica with a key and broken the driver's side mirror; about $100 in damage was estimated. There are no suspects. Officers returned to the area at about 11 a.m. Sunday and saw that someone had dented the rear driver's side door, causing about $500 in damage.
- A 6-foot, 5-inch tall man reportedly took a $47 bottle of Jack Daniels at about 11:15 p.m. Friday from the Maverik Country Store, 601 S. Federal Blvd.
- Kelvin Smith, 23, of Farson, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 3:45 a.m. Saturday in the 900 block of East Fremont Avenue. Officers were responding to another call when they found Smith sitting on the front porch of a house "twitching, working his jaw back and forth and fidgeting." He reportedly was unable to answer questions properly. Officers said they saw a revolver pistol on the grass next to him. Smith said the gun wasn't his, but he reportedly had ammunition for a .22 in his back pocket. The gun was placed into safekeeping.
- Employees at Pit Stop, 901 W. Main St., called police at about 5 a.m. Saturday to report a burglary. Someone reportedly broke a $500 window and stole some chips, lighters and cigarettes. A rock the size of a baseball was inside of the store, and officers found a blood-stained Pit Stop lighter in the parking lot. A neighbor reportedly found a rock behind the store along with a maroon shirt with "carnival midway" embroidered on the upper left chest.
- Kenneth Shakespeare, 28, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .42 at about 7:45 a.m. Saturday at City Park, 800 E. Main St. He reportedly was found with a "bunch of people" who were moved along. Shakespeare, however, was unable to walk. He reportedly "just stared" at officers and "drooled down his chin and shirt."
- Virginia Stephenson, 57, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 10 a.m. Saturday on North Federal Boulevard. She reportedly had seemed intoxicated at a store before driving away in a red 2002 Ford Explorer.
- Robert Richards, 37, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication and disturbing the peace at about noon Saturday in the 700 block of East Lincoln Avenue. He reportedly was sleeping on the south side of the roadway, about 2 feet from the sidewalk, and was belligerent when officers contacted him.
- Everett Addison, 30, of Ethete, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 3:50 p.m. Saturday in the 1300 block of Redwood Drive. Officers were responding to reports that a man was sleeping or passed out in a red Toyota 4Runner in the area.
- Christopher SunRhodes, 60, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .18 at about 6:15 p.m. Saturday at City Park, 800 E. Main St. Officers on patrol said they had seen him sleeping under a tree.
- Clowry Means, 47, of Arapahoe, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 8 p.m. Saturday at City Park, 800 E. Main St. With him were Dominic FightingBear, 37, of Arapahoe, and Lucas Sanchez, 33, of Riverton, both of whom were arrested on warrants for failure to appear. Officers said they stopped to speak with a group of men who appeared to be intoxicated and slumped over benches in the northeast corner of the park. Sanchez' blood-alcohol content was .17, Means' was .22 and FightingBear's was a .39.
- Joseph Twiss, 40, of Arapahoe, was arrested for probation revocation and carrying a concealed weapon at about 9 p.m. Saturday in the 500 block of East Pershing Avenue. Officers said they removed a razor blade from his pocket. Twiss was described as a "local transient that stays in City Park."
- Theodore Goggles, 73, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .25 at about 9:10 p.m. Saturday in the 500 block of East Pershing Avenue. With him was Eldon Antelope, 49, of Riverton, who was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .19.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- A 6-year-old boy was reported missing at about 12:15 p.m. Friday on the Leg Lake trail above Lander. The boy's father called authorities at 1 p.m. to say everything was OK.
- A process server called law enforcement at about 3:45 p.m. Friday to report that someone had pointed a gun at her while she was serving civil papers. The homeowner alleges that the civil process server trespassed on his posted property south of Lander. The process server alleges that the homeowner pointed a weapon at her. The weapon was not discharged. The case is under investigation.
- A vehicle reportedly ran into gas pumps at about 2:10 p.m. Saturday at the Kinnear Store; fuel was leaking. The Morton-Kinnear Fire Department responded.
- Sarah Evans, 32, of Lander, was arrested for unauthorized use of a vehicle at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday. The initial report was regarding a missing vehicle in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue. The vehicle was located in All-Nations Trailer Park.
- Money was reported stolen from a vehicle at about 9:10 p.m. Saturday in the 10200 block of Wyoming Highway 789 north of Riverton.
- A radio was reported stolen from a vehicle at about 8 a.m. Sunday on Firethorn Lane north of Riverton.
- A car stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday on Snowberry Lane north of Riverton.
- Billy Washburn, 34, of Lander, was arrested for driving under the influence and driving under suspension at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday on Sinks Canyon Road above Lander. Initial reports state he hit someone and "took off intoxicated" in a Rav4.
- Ronald Brown, 48, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- Brittany Dailey, 25, of Lander, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear.
- Piram Duran, 31, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence.
- Steven Oldman, 24, of Ethete, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear.
- Robert Antelope, 34, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 6 p.m. Monday on Pleasant Drive north of Riverton.