A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
Aug 19, 2014 - Staff
The headline over Sunday's front-page story on Wyoming Senate District 25 made mention of two challengers for the seat now held by ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
The headline over Sunday's front-page story on Wyoming Senate District 25 made mention of two challengers for the seat now held by Republican Cale Case of Lander. There are three Republican challengers. Jennifer McCarty of Lander was profiled in a separate story last week, while Sunday's story dealt with challengers Joe Malek and Allen Whiteman. Profiles of Case and all of this challengers have been published in The Ranger, and they are posted at dailyranger.com as well.
Melvyn "Andy" Anderson, 73, of Hudson, died Sunday, Aug. 17, at his home. A memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at Hudson Town Hall with Pastor Echo Klaproth officiating.
Eugene "Gene" Culbertson, 67, died Friday, Aug. 15, at Wyoming Medical Center in Casper. Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, at Torrey Lake Ranch in Dubois.
Ross Hoyt, of Lander, died Saturday, Aug. 16, in Lander. A visitation will be 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, in the Chapel of Mount Hope, Hudson's Funeral Home, Lander. A funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 653 Cascade St., in Lander. Burial with military honors will follow in the Mount Hope Cemetery in Lander.
Linda Alice (Sanford) Jarrard, 65, of Riverton, died Saturday, Aug. 16, at home after a hard fought battle with cancer. Services will be at 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, at the Fremont County Fairgrounds in Riverton. A reception will follow at the Holiday Inn in Riverton.
Charlotte Waterman, 74, died Sunday, Aug. 17, at Wyoming Medical Center in Casper. Traditional Indian funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, at Rocky Mountain Hall with Arlen Shoyo officiating. An evening service and wake will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, at Rocky Mountain Hall. Interment will be in the Chief Washakie Cemetery.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- A white passenger car reportedly was ablaze at about 6:50 am. Friday behind Daylight Donuts, 622 E. Main St. No one was injured.
- Eldon Antelope, 49, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .37 at about 9 a.m. Friday in the 500 block of East Main Street. He reportedly was sleeping in an alley near a dumpster. Officers said Antelope was not allowed at the Center of Hope detoxification facility.
- A dark sport utility vehicle reportedly failed to pay for $82 in fuel at about 7 p.m. Friday in the 400 block of East Pershing Avenue.
- A wallet was reported stolen from a vehicle at about 7:10 p.m. Friday at the 789 Casino south of Riverton. The reporting party said the wallet contained $90 in cash along with credit cards and identification. About $350 reportedly had been spent on the credit card since the theft.
- Allen WhitePlume, 29, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .31 at about 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 900 block of Forest Drive. Officers reportedly were patrolling the area when they saw WhitePlume "passed out face-down on the concrete." He reportedly refused to go to the Center of Hope detoxification facility.
- Chelsey Miller, 21, of Arapahoe, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday in the700 block of East Main Street. Officers were responding to reports that an intoxicated person was lying outside of the Boot Bar. Miller reportedly was "passed out" against the building; she told officers she didn't know how to get home.
- Mikki Clutter, 43, of Riverton, was arrested for use of methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine, possession of marijuana and possession of prescription medication at about 10:30 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Comanche Court. With her was Amber Sorrelle, 33, of Riverton, who was arrested on a Fremont County warrant and for possession and use of methamphetamine.
- Kenneth Shakespeare, 28, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .34 at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of North Federal Boulevard. He reportedly was lying on the steps behind the Boot Barn clothing store. Officers said Shakespeare is not allowed at the Center of Hope detoxification facility.
- Clowry Means, 47, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .28 at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the 900 block of South Federal Boulevard. With him was Brian SunRhodes, 30, of Ethete, who was arrested for public intoxication with a blood-alcohol content of .34. The men reportedly were incapacitated in the parking lot of River City Bar due to their high level of intoxication. Officers attempted to relocate the subjects to the Center of Hope detoxification facility but there reportedly was not space for them there. Officers also looked for family members or friends to take the subjects home.
- A mail carrier reportedly was bit by a dog at about 12:30 p.m. Monday in the 1000 block of Mary Anne Drive. Officers observed two puncture wounds on her left calf but were unable to locate the dog. The carrier said she had not seen the smaller brown animal before.
- Three people were arrested for public intoxication at about 5 p.m. Monday in the 500 block of East Pershing Avenue: Theodore Goggles, 73, of Riverton, with a blood-alcohol content of .16; Houston Headley, 46, of Ethete, with a blood-alcohol content of .29; and Chasity MakeShine, 25, of Ethete, with a blood-alcohol content of .32. Headley reportedly was lying on the Rails to Trails bike path with no shirt. Goggles and MakeShine reportedly were "passed out" nearby with an empty bottle of mouthwash.
- A 35-year-old Riverton man will be charged with strangulation of a household member for reportedly choking a 14-year-old boy at about 6 p.m. Monday on Navaho Avenue. The boy's 32-year-old Riverton mother called police to report the incident. She said she was playing video games with the other two subjects when the older male became agitated and choked her son for five to 10 seconds. The man reportedly left in a blue Dodge pickup truck.
- Troy Fasthorse, 22, of Riverton, was arrested on a failure-to-appear warrant and for property destruction at about 11 p.m. Monday in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive. Someone in the area called police to say Fasthorse was "sitting on her car smoking weed." He also had attempted to break into an apartment in the neighborhood at about 10:30 p.m. Monday.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Neil Redman, 26, of Ethete, was arrested on two Fremont County warrants for failure to appear at about 4 p.m. Friday in the 100 block of Norkok Street in Fort Washakie.
- Shannon Gothard, 46, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday at the Fremont County Sheriff's Office in Riverton.
- Two inmates at the Fremont County Detention Center were charged with battery in connection with an assault that reportedly took place Aug. 4 at the facility. Ismael Escamilla, 21, and Jordan Oldman, 21, are alleged to have simultaneously attacked an 18-year-old inmate, striking him numerous times with their hands and feet. The victim was treated for his injuries at SageWest Health Care at Lander and was released that day. The report was made per deputy request at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Michael Truax, 29, of Riverton, was arrested for battery after reportedly assaulting another man Saturday evening in Pavillion. Deputies responded at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday to the 100 block of East Euclid Avenue in Pavillion, where several people, including Truax, reportedly were outside of a residence asking to speak to a man inside of the home. The occupant reportedly went outside and "became engaged" in a verbal argument with Truax. At some point, Truax reportedly "began assaulting the man with his fists" before fleeing the area. The man was not seriously injured, and Truax reportedly was located at another Pavillion residence.
- Dogs reportedly "destroyed" some sheep overnight Saturday to Sunday on Jimson Lane north of Riverton. The report came in at about 7:45 a.m. Sunday. Officials said the sheep were not killed; deputies were unable to locate the dogs. A similar report was made at about 2:20 a.m. Tuesday from Jimson Lane, where dogs reportedly were chasing sheep. The reporting party said her daughter was going to start shooting the dogs. Deputies were unable to locate the offending animals.
- Michele Jenkins, 47, of Arapahoe, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 2:50 p.m. Sunday at the Fremont County Sheriff's Office in Lander.
- Anna Rollman, 48, of Dubois, was arrested for bond revocation.
- Daniel Bell, 60, of Pavillion, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for contempt of court at about 8:30 p.m. Monday on Tipperary Road west of Pavillion.
- Lawrence Felter, 37, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence battery at about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday on Snowberry Lane north of Riverton.