A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
May 8, 2012 - Staff
Lena Aaron, 86, died Friday, May 4, in Fort Washakie. Funeral services are at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 9, at the Rocky ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
Lena Aaron, 86, died Friday, May 4, in Fort Washakie. Funeral services are at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 9, at the Rocky Mountain Hall at Fort Washakie. Burial will follow at the Sacajawea Cemetery at Fort Washakie. A visitation is at 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 8, at the Rocky Mountain Hall and will continue throughout the night. A wake will begin at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The online guest book is available at www.Hudsons
Running Injuries and Technique Evaluation is at 6 p.m. at Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park, Riverton. This free event is part of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month at the library.
Bid Opening for North Broadway Avenue Extension is 1:30 p.m. at Riverton City Hall, 816 N. Federal Blvd., Riverton.
Wind River Schools Spring Concert (grades 5 and 6) is at 7 p.m. at Wind River Elementary Gym, 223 S. Cherry St., Pavillion.
To add an event to the community calendar, please e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "community calendar"R00;in the subject line.
In Riverton police reports from Friday to Tuesday morning:
- At 9:45 a.m. on Friday, police arrested Roberta Eagle, 55, of Ethete, on municipal court warrants. The arrest occurred in the 400 block of North Eighth Street West.
- Miguel Verley, 41, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation at 3:25 p.m. on Friday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Donald Smith, 48, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at 10:27 p.m. on Friday in the 300 block of East Washington Avenue.
- At 2:48 a.m. on Saturday in the 200 block of West Adams Avenue, police arrested Telyna Najera-Mejia, 26, of Riverton, for disturbing the peace.
- At 9:40 a.m. on Saturday in the 100 block of East Adams Avenue, police arrested Collins Jamerman, 67, of Riverton, for driving under the influence (DUI).
- At 11:25 a.m. on Saturday in the 600 block of East Fremont Avenue, police arrested Odessa Thayer, 21, of Riverton, for DUI.
- Emery Tindall, 27, of Fort Washakie, was arrested for assault (domestic violence), interfering with an emergency call and resisting arrest. The arrest occurred at 9:50 p.m. on Saturday in the 800 block of Independence Drive.
- At 12:09 a.m. on Sunday in the 500 block of East Main Street, police arrested Angel Jones, 23, of Lander, for DUI.
- At 8:15 p.m. on Sunday, police arrested Eric Cantrell, 45, of Riverton, for assault (domestic violence) and interfering with a police officer. The arrest happened in the 900 block of Forest Drive.
- At 1:58 a.m. on Monday, police arrested John Chavez, 29, of Riverton, for public intoxication. The arrest occurred in the 500 block of East Main Street.
- Shauna Dewey, 38, of Riverton, was arrested on municipal court warrants at 6:58 p.m. on Monday in the 200 block if North Smith Road.
- Frantasia Maldonado, 23, of Riverton, was arrested on a municipal court warrant. The time and place of the arrest was unavailable.
In Fremont County Sheriff's reports from Friday to Tuesday morning:
- Michael Robert Torrence, 34, of Riverton, was arrested for DUI, duty to stop, property damage, driving under suspension and possession of a controlled substance (marijuana).
Sheriff's Capt. Ryan Lee said at 9:40 p.m. on Friday, police received a REDDI report (Report Every Drunk Driver Immediately) on Highway 789. The caller said the driver of the dark-colored Chevy pickup truck was traveling at a high rate of speed, ran a car off the road, almost hit a school bus and was driving on both sides of the road.
"Torrence is alleged to have stolen the vehicle in the Riverton area, and driving at a high rate of speed towards Lander," Lee said in a news release. "Torrence was called in as a REDDI and had allegedly struck at least one vehicle while driving through the town of Hudson. No injuries resulted from that collision."
Lee said deputy Frank Huelskamp intercepted Torrence near Lander.
"Further investigation is pending with the Riverton Police Department concerning the stolen vehicle out of their jurisdiction," Lee said.
- At 11:40 a.m. on Friday, dispatch received a call about a driver in pickup truck on Highway 28 near Lander who struck an antelope while passing a vehicle at roughly 90 mph. The caller told police the driver did not stop for the collision.
Lee said the driver, identified as Brian Anson of Lyman, was stopped by deputy Phil Holder and cited for speeding.
"After issuance of the citation the incident was turned over to the Wyoming Highway Patrol," he said.
- At 6:59 p.m. on Sunday, the sheriff's office received a call about a car crash on North Fork Road near Lander. The caller reported a Ford pickup truck had rolled. There were five occupants in the truck, and some of them were out and walking around, the caller said.
Lee said the 17-year-old Lander boy driving the 1996 truck was cited for speeds too fast for conditions.
"The vehicle was occupied by four additional Lander teens," Lee said. "There were no serious injuries."
- During the same time frame, ambulance crews responded to 60 calls for service and firefighters were dispatched seven times.