Useful tips for some routine tasksMay 18, 2012 By Carolyn B. Tyler
An Internet friend recently shared some useful tips for everyday tasks, as follows:
- Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry the cup.
Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.
- De-fog your windshield: Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!
- Re-opening envelopes: If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Voila! It unseals easily. Only for old- fashioned "lick-type" mucilage envelopes!
- Use your creme-rinse hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. Men night not like the idea, but creme rinse works great for shaving your face, too.
- Goodbye fruit flies: To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2 inch with Apple Cider Vinegar and two drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!
- Get rid of ants: Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home," can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works. And you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!
- If you drop a small object on the carpet and can't find it, place panty hose over the end of the vacuum hose and start vacuuming. The panty hose will keep it from getting sucked into the vacuum.
- Need to cut some corn off the cob. Use your bundt pan. Place the ear on the opening in the center of the pan, and as you slide the knife down the ear, all the kernels will collect in the main part of the pan.
There are more, for another day.