TodayJul 17, 2012 Staff
One of the subjects in Friday's page one Ranger story "CWC faculty resignations examined" said his position was misrepresented in the story.
Jeremy Christensen, who resigned as instructor and coach of Central Wyoming College's forensics and debate program, said he did not resign because he dislikes living in the area. He said he enjoys living here, would like to remain in Fremont County, and is seeking other employment locally.
Christensen said reasons for the voluntary resignations of six first-year faculty members that were speculated upon by a college faculty representative and a human resource officer during the board meeting June 20 "are hearsay" and do not apply to him.
Mildred Agnes Stronach Absher, 97, died Friday, June 29, 2012, at St. Andrews Village in Aurora, Colo. There has been a memorial service in Denver, and her ashes will be spread with those of her husband who died in 2007.
Caroline Ann Smith, 51, died July 5, 2012, at her home in Riverton after a two-year battle with lung cancer. Cremation has taken place under the direction of Davis Funeral Home, and there will be no services.
Erna Irene Spencer, 85, mother of Ron Spencer of Riverton, died Friday, July 13, 2012. Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 18, at the Shell Community Center in Shell with Pastor Becky Anderson as officiant. The burial will be after the service at the Whaley Cemetery.
Children's Summer Reading Program Picnic is at 10:30 a.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave.
Eagle Spirit Dancers is at 7 p.m. at the Museum of the American West, 1445 Main St., Lander.
Fremont County School District 25 Board Meeting is at 7 p.m. at the Administration Office, 121 N. Fifth St. West, Riverton.
Jackie and Gary, Singing the Good Old Songs Again is at 7 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. Event is free and open to the public.
Reader's Theater Ice Cream Social is at 10:30 a.m. in the Lander Library, 200 Amoretti St., Lander.
Tie Hack Tour is at 1 p.m. at the Dubois Museum, 909 W. Ramshorn St., Dubois. Meet at the Museum for an afternoon driving/hiking tour of Union Pass tie hack sites. Short hikes are included to view off-road sites, so please dress for the changing mountain weather, bring plenty of water and wear sturdy hiking shoes. Participants will carpool to the sites.
Multiple Sclerosis Educational Program is at 6 p.m. at The Bull Steakhouse, 1100 W. Main St., Riverton. A pharmaceutical representative will host an educational program for patients and caregivers on living with multiple sclerosis. Event is free, but registration is required. To register, call 1-800-788-1467.
The Daily Life of the Plains Indians is at 7 p.m. at the campfire ring in Dubois Town Park. Local historian Joe Brandl will examine the clothing, tools, weapons and social lives of the Plains Indians. Wood benches are provided for seating. Attendees are encouraged to bring more comfortable seating and a light jacket or sweater as the temperature drops rapidly in the evening.
To add an event to the community calendar, please e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "community calendar"R00;in the subject line.
In Riverton police reports from Friday to Tuesday morning:
- Kenneth Shakespeare, 26, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication.
- Paul Bell, 50, of Hudson, was arrested for disturbing the peace.
- William Topaum, 34, of Ethete, was arrested for a municipal court warrant and public intoxication.
- Derek Scott, 27, of Riverton, was arrested for a probation revocation warrant.
- Kincaid Duran, 42, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication.
- Esther Abeyta, 45, of Riverton, was arrested for assault (domestic violence).
- Dustin Bigmedicine, 31, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest and a municipal court warrant.
In Fremont County Sheriff's reports from Friday to Tuesday morning:
- Benjamin Cordova, 45, of Lander, was arrested for bond revocation.
- Christopher Mccarson, 33, of Riverton, was arrested for probation violation and breach of peace.
- Lance Balderston, 45, of Lander, was arrested for contempt of court.
- During the same time period, ambulance crews responded to 50 calls for service and firefighters were dispatched 11 times.
- At 3:02 p.m. on Friday, police received a call concerning a possible drowning at Fork Washakie Reservoir. Sheriff's Capt. Ryan Lee said the person was located and found to be safe and OK.
- At 2:34 p.m. on Sunday, sheriff's deputies responded to Pilot Butte Road near Kinnear concerning a green Ford Explorer on its roof. The caller reported she did not see anyone in the area.
Lee said subsequently Jeremy Merta, 34, of Arapahoe, was cited for speeds too fast for road conditions. Lee said there were no injuries, and police believe Merta was alone in the car at the time of the crash. It's unknown if alcohol was involved.
- At 9:15 p.m. on Saturday, police responded to Sinks Canyon Road near Lander for a report of a juvenile male with a possible broken femur bone from an ATV crash. Lee said the boy was transported by ambulance to Lander Regional Hospital.
The Wyoming State Engineer's Office report on stream flows, reservoir levels and canal diversions in the Wind River Basin as of Monday, July 16, are as listed in the first column. The readings for Sunday, July 15, are in the second column. Measurements are in cubic feet per second unless otherwise stated.
Wind River near Dubois 158 162
Dinwoody Creek above Lakes, Near Burris 452 463
Bull Lake Creek above Bull Lake 724 606
Bull Lake Creek near Lenore 719 663
Wind River near Crowheart 1,940 1,780
Wind River near Kinnear 438 440
Wind River at Riverton 32 31
Little Popo Agie River near Lander 39 39
Little Wind River near Riverton 113 116
Wind River above Boysen Reservoir -- --
Fivemile Creek near Shoshoni 265 247
Wind River below Boysen Reservoir 1,120 1,150