News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Practices start Monday for most Riverton High School fall sports teams
Aug 9, 2012 - By Craig Blumenshine, Staff Writer
Riverton High School has announced times and locations for first-day fall sports practices.
New RHS activities director Jeremy Hill confirmed the schedule. Rules defined by the Wyoming High School Activities Association dictate when school practices and competitions can start for each season and, with the exception of Class 4-A football, which was allowed to begin practice on Monday, Aug. 6, local athletes will begin their fall seasons this Monday, Aug. 14.
- The RHS tennis team, coached by Mary Lea Wolf, will organize early Monday at 6:30 a.m. Tennis players are to meet in the commons area at Riverton High School. Assisting Wolf with coaching duties are Matt Wolf and Kristi Lamb.
- At 7 p.m. Monday, coach Jeremy McCormick will meet his 2012 football Wolverines. Players are asked to report to the RHS locker rooms in Wolverine Gym. Assistant football coaches this year at the varsity level are Derek Watson, Randy Weber and Beau Sheets. Sophomore assistants include Brandon Giddings, Jay Galey and Bob Cogdill. Tyler Watson and Jeff Motisi will coach freshman football.
- Lady Wolverine volleyball players will be led by coach Adrian McNamee. They start their practices at 8 a.m. Monday in Wolverine Gym. Named assistant varsity volleyball coach is Justin Taylor. Trista Bauer, Jorah Griffith and Amy Redfern will handle sub-varsity volleyball coaching.
- Also at 8 a.m. Monday, both girls and boys cross country runners are to report near the back doors of the RHS locker rooms with their coach Jay Dayton. Tawn Gopp will be the assistant cross country coach.
- Members of the RHS girls and boys golf teams are slated to be at the Riverton Country Club at 9 a.m. Monday with head coach Lars Flanagan and assistants Matt Mortimore and Russ Holgate.
- Monday at 3:30 p.m., girls swim coach Chad Fallin will meet his team for the first time at the Riverton Aquatic Center. Assisting Fallin with coaching duties are Sarah Hughes and David Toppenberg.
Hill reminds parents and athletes that students must have physicals, insurance and all other paper work completed in order to practice the first day.
If a family does not have health insurance, a parent or guardian can contact Hill or assistant activities director Tim Bell at the RHS Career Center.
"We have low-cost options available to them," Hill said.