News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Slide show spotlights Scottish settlers
Aug 12, 2012 - From staff reports
Cowboys and their cattle may be a well-known facet of Dubois-area history, but sheep ranchers tend to fall out of the spotlight.
John Finley will fill the gap as he offers a narrative to accompany more than a hundred century-old images of the East Fork's original Scottish settlers on Saturday, Aug. 18, at the Dennison Lodge in Dubois.
Finley, the photographer's grandson, is making this presentation in conjunction with the annual meeting of the Dubois Museum Association.
His slide presentation begins at 7 p.m., but will be preceded by a dessert reception at 6 p.m. and a brief DMA meeting at 6:45 p.m. The public is invited and admission is free.
Little Scotland dates back to the year 1900 when the Duncans of Ayrshire, Scotland started raising sheep (and cattle) in the Wind River Valley.
First came brothers Bill and Tom, followed by other brothers and their brides. The settlement on the East Fork flourished. A school opened in 1908 and a US post office in 1939. That post office was called Duncan and operated until 1958.
Finley was raised on the family cattle ranch bordering the East Fork of the Wind River, which his grandfather established more than 100 years ago.
His education began there in a one-room school. He still lives on that ranch with his wife, Ramona, and is an artist whose works are in private collections in the USA, Europe, Australia and Japan.