Navigating the confusing world of state, federal business forms

Sep 6, 2012 From staff reports

Question -- "Where do I purchase state and federal forms to start my business?"

-- Andy, Dubois

Answer -- How many times do new business owners come to me --after paying for state and federal forms --to start their businesses? I am talking about fill-in, blank federal and state forms.

These entrepreneurs want to make sure they are in compliance and doing everything necessary to correctly start their business. They search the Internet and find sites that charge for state and federal "free forms."

"Charging for free forms" sounds like an oxymoron. It is.

So, what should the fledgling business owner do? As a general rule, forms are free. How do you know which forms you need and where to find them? If you're like me, I find it easier and beneficial to have someone in the know show and explain something to me rather than spend time "interpreting" information I haven't a clue about.

Where do you find that expert and how much is that going to add to your start-up costs? The answer is Wyoming Entrepreneur/Wyoming Small Business Development Center, where business assistance is only a click and a call away at or 382-0947.

Our small business advisers do not charge a fee, and all information is confidential. Advisers offer a medley of expertise from business planning, e-commerce strategy, doing business with the government, and even which forms to file and how to obtain them for free.


Editor's note:R00;Margie Rowell is WSBDC regional director, part of WyomingEntrepreneur.Biz, a collection of business assistance programs at the University of Wyoming. To ask a question, email at or call at 1-800-348-5194.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...