Oct 13, 2012 - By Bruce Tippets, Sports EditorTwo Riverton High School cross country runners placed in the top 20 in the Class 4-A West regional meet Friday afternoon in almost near perfect conditions at the Wind River Golf Course.
Thompson led the way for the Wolverines with an eighth-place finish in a time of 20:15.18. Thompson is the defending Class 4-A champion. The top 10 runners from regionals earn all-conference honors. It was the second straight week the Wolverines ran on their home course. Thompson finished fifth last week at the Berry Bryant/Kyle Johnson Memorial. The field had the top 3-A runners in the race.
Her teammate Jillian C' Bearing placed 17th for RHS in a time of 21:28.75. Bailey Broadbent was 31st (23:53.15), Camille Whiteman was 35th (24:21.37) and Aisha Durfey was 37th in 26:14.09.
Selina Ramsey from Rock Springs put herself as a state title contender by winning regionals in 19:02.44. Casper Natrona's Ashley Sondag was second (19:21.59) and Andee Wilcox from Kelly Walsh placed third (19:34.72). All the runners advance to Saturday's Class 4-A state meet in Douglas.
Distance runner Ricky Faure from Rock Springs was the heavy favorite to win the boys crown, and he didn't disappoint the cross country fans. Faure ran a blistering time of 15:41 to win the 3.1-mile course. Hunter Davila pushed Faure for the entire race, and finished in second in 15:51.34.
The top four RHS boys runners ran under 20 minutes. Ben Zoller was 35th in the race at 19:41.31. Brytan Spoonhunter finished 36th (19:15.15), Caleb C' Bearing was 37th (19:30.47) and Dalton Perkins placed 38th (19:50.53).
Results from Class 4-A
West regional meet held
Friday afternoon in Riverton
1. Selina Ramsey, Rock Springs, 19:02.44; 2. Ashley Sondag, Casper Natrona,19:21.59; 3. Andee Wilcox, Kelly Walsh, 19:34.72; 4. Karli Piaia, Rock Springs, 19:40.84; 5. Jade Sheffield, Natrona, 19:50.09; 6. Katelyn Smith, Kelly Walsh, 20:04.15; 7. Alexis Smith, Kelly Walsh, 20:07.75; 8. Olivia Thompson, Riverton, 20:15.18; 9. Makenna Maston, Natrona, 20:27.53; 10. Josie Givens, Green River, 20:33.94.
17. Jillian C' Bearing, 21:28.75; 31. Bailey Broadbent, 23:53.15; 35. Camille Whiteman, 24:21; 37. Aisha Durfey, 26:14.09.
Junior varsity (Riverton runners)
24. Merril Synders, 27:45.03; 29. Mercedes Nanamkim, 29:55.34.
1. Ricky Faure, Rock Springs, 15.41; 2. Hunter Davila, Kelly Walsh, 15:51.34; 3. Asher Catterall, Rock Springs, 16:36.12; 4. Krey Ramsey, Rock Springs, 16:44.03; 5. Marcus Jones, Kelly Walsh, 16:53.75; 6. Calum Kepler, Kelly Walsh, 17:03.25; 7. Racye Blair, Kelly Walsh, 17:11.91; 8. Josh Hartford, Green River, 17:15.50; 9. Austin Williamson, Casper Natrona, 17:17.09; 10. Jaaz Catterall, Rock Springs, 17:20.68.
35. Ben Zoller, Riverton, 19:41.31; 36. Brytan Spoonhunter, 19:15.15; 37. Caleb C' Bearing, 19:30.47; 38. Dalton Perkins,19:50.53; 40. Thomas Beasley, 20:29.06; 41. Sean Watts, 22:31.25.
Junior varsity runners
24. Bryan Lane, 20:11.93; 29. Russell C' Hair, 20:29.12; 36. Tyler Allen, 20:59.50; 47. Duncan Makin, 22:36; 48. Matt Amos, 23:47.15; 54. Andrew Dayton, 30:24.24.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.