News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Thompson leads RHS runners with eighth-place finish
Oct 13, 2012 - By Bruce Tippets, Sports Editor
Two Riverton High School cross country runners placed in the top 20 in the Class 4-A West regional meet Friday afternoon in almost near perfect conditions at the Wind River Golf Course.
Thompson led the way for the Wolverines with an eighth-place finish in a time of 20:15.18. Thompson is the defending Class 4-A champion. The top 10 runners from regionals earn all-conference honors. It was the second straight week the Wolverines ran on their home course. Thompson finished fifth last week at the Berry Bryant/Kyle Johnson Memorial. The field had the top 3-A runners in the race.
Her teammate Jillian C' Bearing placed 17th for RHS in a time of 21:28.75. Bailey Broadbent was 31st (23:53.15), Camille Whiteman was 35th (24:21.37) and Aisha Durfey was 37th in 26:14.09.
Selina Ramsey from Rock Springs put herself as a state title contender by winning regionals in 19:02.44. Casper Natrona's Ashley Sondag was second (19:21.59) and Andee Wilcox from Kelly Walsh placed third (19:34.72). All the runners advance to Saturday's Class 4-A state meet in Douglas.
Distance runner Ricky Faure from Rock Springs was the heavy favorite to win the boys crown, and he didn't disappoint the cross country fans. Faure ran a blistering time of 15:41 to win the 3.1-mile course. Hunter Davila pushed Faure for the entire race, and finished in second in 15:51.34.
The top four RHS boys runners ran under 20 minutes. Ben Zoller was 35th in the race at 19:41.31. Brytan Spoonhunter finished 36th (19:15.15), Caleb C' Bearing was 37th (19:30.47) and Dalton Perkins placed 38th (19:50.53).
Results from Class 4-A
West regional meet held
Friday afternoon in Riverton
1. Selina Ramsey, Rock Springs, 19:02.44; 2. Ashley Sondag, Casper Natrona,19:21.59; 3. Andee Wilcox, Kelly Walsh, 19:34.72; 4. Karli Piaia, Rock Springs, 19:40.84; 5. Jade Sheffield, Natrona, 19:50.09; 6. Katelyn Smith, Kelly Walsh, 20:04.15; 7. Alexis Smith, Kelly Walsh, 20:07.75; 8. Olivia Thompson, Riverton, 20:15.18; 9. Makenna Maston, Natrona, 20:27.53; 10. Josie Givens, Green River, 20:33.94.
17. Jillian C' Bearing, 21:28.75; 31. Bailey Broadbent, 23:53.15; 35. Camille Whiteman, 24:21; 37. Aisha Durfey, 26:14.09.
Junior varsity (Riverton runners)
24. Merril Synders, 27:45.03; 29. Mercedes Nanamkim, 29:55.34.
1. Ricky Faure, Rock Springs, 15.41; 2. Hunter Davila, Kelly Walsh, 15:51.34; 3. Asher Catterall, Rock Springs, 16:36.12; 4. Krey Ramsey, Rock Springs, 16:44.03; 5. Marcus Jones, Kelly Walsh, 16:53.75; 6. Calum Kepler, Kelly Walsh, 17:03.25; 7. Racye Blair, Kelly Walsh, 17:11.91; 8. Josh Hartford, Green River, 17:15.50; 9. Austin Williamson, Casper Natrona, 17:17.09; 10. Jaaz Catterall, Rock Springs, 17:20.68.
35. Ben Zoller, Riverton, 19:41.31; 36. Brytan Spoonhunter, 19:15.15; 37. Caleb C' Bearing, 19:30.47; 38. Dalton Perkins,19:50.53; 40. Thomas Beasley, 20:29.06; 41. Sean Watts, 22:31.25.
Junior varsity runners
24. Bryan Lane, 20:11.93; 29. Russell C' Hair, 20:29.12; 36. Tyler Allen, 20:59.50; 47. Duncan Makin, 22:36; 48. Matt Amos, 23:47.15; 54. Andrew Dayton, 30:24.24.