News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Dry goods store -- 1894
Nov 25, 2012 - Staff
The transition from wood buildings to brick was a welcome sign of progress and stability for small western towns, and this store was a sign of exactly that in Lander before the turn of the 20th century.
The Stasia Allen store also was a pioneering business in that it was operated by a woman. "Mrs. Stasia Allen," as the store was billed, aspired to higher end of merchandise than was available at the typical general store, with an eye toward women's wear and accessories. The line of
stationery sold there was considered among the best in Wyoming of its time.
The building had just one occupant at the time this picture was made. The right side of the structure was available for lease.
The Allen store building stood until the mid-1960s, housing at least a half-dozen different businesses during its roughy 75-year existence.