News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
The way it was: School construction -- 1953
Dec 9, 2012 - From staff reports
Riverton had just one elementary school through its first 48 years. By the early 1950s, there was enough growth to warrant a second. Surveying and site work began at Ashgrove Elementary School in 1952, and the building was taking shape by the summer of 1953.
Situated on land that was part of the original 1906 land lottery, Ashgrove was constructed of blonde bricks between North First and North Second West, four blocks north of Main Street.
The weather stayed warm through the fall, and builders were able to continue working outdoors in December. School district leaders were confident that Ashgrove would be ready for occupancy by the start of the 1954 school term, which it was.
Ashgrove has undergone two additions since then and has had several class configurations, beginning with grades 1-6, later kindergarten through fifth grade and K-3. Today it serves students in grades K-2. Ashgrove is now the oldest operating school in District 25.