Jan 9, 2013 - By Katie Roenigk, Staff WriterStudents in Shoshoni were evacuated from their school for about 40 minutes Tuesday while firefighters investigated reports of smoke in a classroom.
A source of the smoke was never discovered.
Fremont County School District 24 Superintendent Tammy Cox said it was at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday when the smoke began emanating from an air vent in an upstairs classroom.
"We couldn't see fire, but it was just a little scary," she said.
The Shoshoni Fire Department responded to the scene, and Cox said students were asked to collect their coats and evacuate the building.
"We were lucky it was one of the warmer days," Cox said, adding that many students were able to take shelter in out-buildings on the Shoshoni campus.
Meanwhile, she said, firefighters searched the main school structure for the source of the smoke, which had been discovered in the oldest part of the main school building constructed in 1937.
"They tested the walls for heat and all, but they never found anything," Cox said. "We don't know why it happened, but it came and went."
She said school staff will monitor the classroom in question so they know if the problem persists.
"If we see the smoke again we'll just jump on it," Cox said.
Once the firefighters deemed the structure safe, Cox said students were allowed to return to class, and parents were notified about the event through the school's emergency alert phone system.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.