News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Mar 5, 2013 - Staff
Elrose Sullivan Fries, 89, the mother of Lander resident Patsy Abbey, died Thursday, Feb. 21, at the Johnson County Health Care Center in Buffalo. Funeral services were at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the Adams Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Tom Saur officiating.
James "Jim" Jenkins, 52, of Riverton, died Saturday, March 2. Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 13, at Davis Funeral Home.
Margaret Laughton, 88, of Lander, died Thursday, Feb. 28. Visitation will be Thursday, March 7, in the Chapel of Mount Hope, Hudson's Funeral Home. Burial will follow at a later date in the Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va.
Zelma M. Lockhart, 66, of Riverton, died Monday, March 4, at her home. Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Friday, March 8, at Davis Funeral Home. At her request, cremation has taken place.
Shane Long, 50, of Riverton, died Saturday, March 2. A celebration of life is pending. Arrangements under Davis Funeral Home.
Ida Keller Koeneke, 100, formerly of Riverton, died Wednesday, Feb. 13. Cremation has taken place, and internment will be in the summer at Mountain View Cemetery in Riverton.
Felix B. Kotarski, 95, died Friday, March 1, in Yuma, Ariz. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday, March 8, at Our Lady of the Woods Catholic Church in Dubois, with Father Eckley Macklin officiating. Interment will follow at the Dubois Cemetery. A rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 7, at Our Lady of the Woods Catholic Church.
Margaret Olsen, 90, of Riverton, died Friday, March 1. Services are pending with Davis Funeral Home.
Richard James "English Richard" Richardson, 67, of Dubois, died Thursday, Feb. 28, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of life potluck will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Outlaw Saloon.
Ruby Willow, 65, of Riverton, died Saturday, March 2. A rosary will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 5, at Davis Funeral Home, and also at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 6, at St. Stephen's Eagle Hall. A funeral mass will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 7, at St. Stephen's Catholic Church.
Veterans Assistance is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Veterans Affairs Clinic, 2300 Rose Lane, Riverton. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call Lori McGee at 438-2101.
Climbing Everest Lecture is 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the Little Theatre at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. Writer, adventurer Mark Jenkins returns to CWC to describe a recent climb on Mount Everest. He climbed the world's tallest mountain in the spring of 2012 and will talk about Everest's past and present and how the meaning of climbing the mountain evolved.
Free Tax Help is 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in room 157 in the main hall of Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. Former and current Central Wyoming College accounting and income tax students provide free help preparing 2012 taxes to taxpayers that cannot afford professional assistance. For more information, call 855-2149.
CWC Band Concert is at 7:30 p.m. at the Robert A. Peck Arts Center Theatre at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Monday:
- Heather Gould, 24, of Lander, was arrested for bond revocation.
- Broderick Hopper, 18, of Kinnear, was arrested for probation revocation.
- Michael Cousineau, 33, of Riverton, was arrested for contempt of court/failure to appear at about 8:40 p.m. Monday on Arapahoe Drive in Riverton.
- Jeffrey Gilman, 25, of Lander, was arrested for probation revocation.
- Robert Richards, 36, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation.
- Kimberly Smith, 18, of Lander, was cited for speeds too fast for conditions after being involved in a one-vehicle accident Friday night at the intersection of Squaw Creek Road and Baldwin Creek Road in Lander.
Officials said Smith's vehicle, a 1992 Toyota Tacoma, contained four passengers -- two Lander teens and two other Lander 18-year-olds. Two of the occupants reportedly were transported to Lander Regional Hospital with minor injuries.
According to reports, Smith lost control of her Tacoma, which slid off of the roadway sideways at the point where Squaw Creek Road turns to Baldwin Creek Road. The vehicle reportedly entered the barrow ditch for some distance before crossing the roadway and colliding with a guardrail. Initial reports stated the southbound lane was blocked.
"An investigation into the incident revealed Smith was driving too fast for the roadway conditions," Sheriff's Capt. Ryan Lee said in a press release.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Monday:
- Shilo Twobulls, 23, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 4 a.m. Saturday in the 1300 block of Redwood Drive.
- Daniel Oldman, 29, of Lander, was arrested for property destruction at about 8:45 p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of Forest Drive. According to reports, he kicked in the door of an apartment causing an estimated $400 in damage.
- Laurene Arthur, 19, of Arapahoe, was arrested for failure to appear at about 1:20 a.m. Sunday in the 1700 block of Webbwood Road.
- Christopher Monroe, 29, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 6 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- Jamie Goodman, 21, of Riverton, was arrested for probation violation at about 9 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Sarah Cousins, 57, of Riverton, was arrested for indecent exposure and urinating in public at about 11 a.m. Monday at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave.
- Kenneth Shakespeare, 27, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 6 p.m. Monday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Richard Woll, 64, of Livingston, Mont., was arrested for driving under the influence and resisting arrest at about 8:50 p.m. Monday at Burger King, 2150 N. Federal Boulevard.