Man critical after Maverik incident

Feb 2, 2012 By Christina George Staff Writer

A man stabbed several times in the torso and once in the face remained in critical condition Thursday at a Salt Lake City hospital after an attack reported Wednesday at a Riverton convenience store.

Yellow police tape surrounded the Maverik Country Store on Thursday in south Riverton, where authorities responded at about 11:39 p.m. Wednesday to a report of a man bleeding from the chest.

Officers responding to the business on South Federal Boulevard and East Monroe Avenue learned the man had been stabbed and another had been hit in the head with a heavy object.

Riverton Police Capt. C.T. Smith said an investigation is ongoing, and detectives are working on following leads to identify any suspects.

In a news release, Smith said the reporting party told dispatch that a man bleeding from the chest area had entered the store.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found two 28-year-old men who had been victims of an aggravated assault and battery.

"One victim had been stabbed several times in the torso and once in the face, while the second victim suffered blunt-force trauma caused by being hit in the side of the head with a heavy object," Smith said.

Unofficial reports said the man stabbed in the face had lost an eye, but that was no confirmed.

The stabbing victim was taken by air ambulance to the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City, police said. The second victim was taken to Riverton Memorial Hospital where he remained in stable condition.

Both men reside in the Riverton area, but police did not disclose their identities.

In an interview, Smith said many details remain under investigation including who was involved in the attack and the weapons used.

It's also unknown how many times the man was stabbed and if alcohol was involved, Smith said.

According to the Fremont County Sheriff's office dispatch log, an ambulance crew responded to the scene to handle a "traumatic injury." Sheriff's deputies were also on scene to assist the Riverton police with their investigation.

Print Story

Read The Ranger...