Inhabitants escape trailer fires Thursday and Friday

Mar 10, 2013 By Katie Roenigk, Staff Writer

No one was injured in two separate trailer fires that took place within 24 hours of each other Thursday and Friday.

The first incident was reported at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday along U.S. Highway 26 west of Kinnear. When firefighters arrived on scene, officials said the front quarter of the structure was on fire.

"About 20 feet of the trailer was involved," Fremont County Fire Protection District Deputy Chief Dan Oakley said Friday, adding, "The people were already out."

Oakley said the homeowner had been inside of the trailer with some friends when the fire began. He did not know what caused the blaze.

"There's not a whole lot of evidence to collect," he said, adding that the incident does not appear suspicious.

Crews fought the fire from outside of the trailer; Oakley said the flames were under control in about an hour, and the scene was cleared by 2:30 p.m. He said the trailer is no longer livable.


Two adults and their young children escaped a fire that began in their Pavillion trailer at about 5:30 a.m. Friday. Oakley said the family was sleeping when the blaze started.

"The mother and father were asleep in the back bedroom with one of the children," he said. "The other child was asleep in the front room."

He said the mother woke up when she smelled smoke.

"She got up (and) there was a lot of smoke in the house," Oakley said. "She had left the light on in the front of the house and she could see the smoke."

She reportedly ran to the trailer's front room and retrieved her older child -- a 3-year-old according to Oakley, who guessed the other child was about 1.

"They evacuated the house at that point," Oakley said, adding that the trailer's smoke detectors went off as the family left the structure.

When firefighters arrived on scene, Oakley said half of the trailer was involved in flames.

"It's a loss also," Oakley said. "It's an unlivable structure. There may be some personal effects they might be able to save, but they'd be very minimal."

The fire was under control by 6 a.m., and Oakley said the scene was cleared by 7 a.m. The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but Oakley said the incident does not appear suspicious. He said the American Red Cross was notified about the displaced family.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...