No one hurt in fire at gas storage siteApr 23, 2013 The Associated Press
EVANSTON -- A natural gas storage site in southwestern Wyoming exploded but no one was hurt, and firefighters waited most of the day Sunday to allow the flames to die down so they could investigate.
Crews responded late Saturday afternoon to a report of an explosion at the facility, 15 miles north of Evanston in Uinta County, near the Utah line.
"Some sort of pressure valve malfunctioned and exploded, resulting in a fire at the facility," said Eric Quinney, chief administrative officer for Uinta Fire and Ambulance.
He said the four people working at the site at the time were uninjured, and crews were investigating the area late Sunday afternoon.
The facility, which includes a main structure and pipelines, is in an isolated area and the blaze poses no threat to people or other structures, he said. Companies use the site to store natural gas underground.
Crews were staged about a mile away and keeping a close watch Sunday, poised to take action if needed.
"With everyone was accounted for, we're pretty much at this point letting it burn," Quinney said. "We don't want to take any unnecessary risk."
He described the blaze as not huge and flaring occasionally and then dying down.