A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949

Two in race so far for Clerk of Court seat

May 1, 2013 - By Christina George, Staff Writer

The Fremont County Republican Party on Thursday opened the replacement process for the clerk of district court seat being vacated by Katie Brodie Meredith.

State statute mandates if a vacancy occurs in a county elective office, commissioners shall immediately notify in writing the chairman of the county central committee of the political party which the last incumbent represented at the time of his or her election.

Brodie Meredith, a Republican, informed the Fremont County Commission of her resignation at the county board's meeting Tuesday. Her last day on the job is scheduled for June 30.

Party chairwoman Darlene Vaughan said she received notification of the vacancy on Thursday and has 15 days to call a meeting of the county central committee. That meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. Thursday, May 9, in the Fremont County 9th Judicial Circuit Court at the Fremont County Courthouse in Lander.

Vaughan said she has received two letters of interest since the announcement.

District Court deputy clerk Kristi H. Green submitted her application to the GOP last week. Green, who works under Brodie Meredith, has been employed as a court clerk at the Fremont County Courthouse for 30 years.

Jennifer Clymer is the latest to submit a letter of interest for the position. Vaughan said Clymer is chief clerk of the Riverton Circuit Court.

Vaughan said the party will select three applicants qualified to fill the vacancy and forward those names to commissioners. The commission then has five days to review the nominees before making an appointment. Commissioners are scheduled to meet with the three finalists on Tuesday, May 14.

The individual appointed would serve out the remainder of Brodie Meredith's term. The clerk of district court seat is up for election in 2014.

Applicants seeking the open position are asked to send a letter of interest to Vaughan at .

"Anyone can apply for this job as long as they are a qualified elector and a registered Republican," Vaughan said. "They don't have to live in Fremont County, although they will likely have to move here if they are appointed."

For more information, call Vaughan at 332-7261. Information about the law pertaining to the replacement of an elected county official can be found in Wyoming state statute 22-18-111 a. (ii).

Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.

Related Stories

Related Tags

County Weather

Photo Gallery

Twitter Feed (Follow Us!)

Contact Us  © 2017 Riverton Ranger, Inc.