May 2, 2013 - By Katie Roenigk, Staff WriterAn Arapahoe trailer home was destroyed in a fire Wednesday after someone reportedly left a greasy pan on top of a hot stove.
Riverton fire administrator Jeff Kehl said no one was injured in the blaze, which began just after 10:15 p.m. Wednesday in the mobile home's kitchen at 3 Left Hand Ditch Road.
"There was an occupant, and he was alerted by smoke detectors going off," Kehl said. "I don't know if he was asleep or not."
He said flames were visible when a team of 14 firefighters arrived on scene with four pieces of apparatus.
"They got it pretty quick knocked down (and started) mop up operations," Kehl said. "(There was) pretty heavy smoke damage and fire damage."
He called the structure
"uninhabitable" and said he wasn't sure where the lone resident stayed Wednesday night. Investigators reportedly determined the fire started on the kitchen stovetop, which had been left on.
"(They) traced it back to a pan with grease in it on top of the stove," Kehl said.
He said firefighters returned to Riverton just before 1 a.m. Thursday.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.