Mar 15, 2012 - StaffDeaths
Gertrude Martha Foster, 92, and the mother of Patricia Stalley, of Riverton, died Sunday, March 11, 2012, at the Cherry County Hospital in Valentine, Neb. A rosary and prayer service were Wednesday, March 14, followed by funeral Mass of Christian Burial on Thursday, March 15, at St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Valentine, Neb. Memorials may be made in care of the family for Mrs. Foster's favorite charities. Arrangements were by Holmes Funeral Home (www.HolmesFH.
com), 321 N. Wood St., Valentine, NE 69201.
Joanne L. "Joby" Hearth, 80, of Lander, died Tuesday, March 13, 2012, at Westward Heights Care Center in Lander. Cremation has taken place, and there will be no services. Memorials may be made to the Epsilon Sigma Alpha sorority of Amedisys Hospice. Online condolences may be made at www.theDavisFuneralHome.com.
RMS Spaghetti Dinner and Chamber Music is 5 p.m. in the Riverton Middle School multipurpose room, Riverton Middle School multi-purpose room, 840 Major Ave., Riverton. Event will help support the Riverton Middle School band's trip to Colorado Springs, Colo. Tickets are $10 apiece or $40 for a family.
Business After Hours is 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Trihydro, 350 Garfield St., Lander. For more information, call the Chamber of Commerce at 332-3892.
'R' Recreation Community Event is 6:30 p.m. at the Riverton High School gymnasium, 2001 W. Sunset Drive, Riverton. Get ready for dazzling ball-handling tricks, high-flying, rim-shaking dunks and hilarious family comedy. Join the Harlem Ambassadors Basketball Show as they take on a team of Fremont County hoop heroes. Don't miss this exciting, affordable, family fun event. Concessions, Team Gear available during the game. Autographs will all be available after the game. No video cameras are allowed. Tickets are $5 before the event and $8 at the door and are available at 'R' Recreation. Children under 4 are admitted free. For more information, call 855-2015.
Exclusive Book Discussion "The Adults" by Alison Espach is at 7 p.m. at Lapeyre Restaurant, 203 E. Main St., Riverton. Espach is the author of the book "The Adults" which was selected as a Wall Street Journal Top 10 Novel of 2011, a New York Time's Editor's Choice and a Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers pick for spring 2011. Free copies of the book are available at the Riverton Branch Library (first come, first serve). Espach will be visiting the library at 7 p.m. March 23 for an author talk and at 1 p.m. March 24 for a writer's workshop. For more information, call Teri Wiblemo at 856-3556.
Lenton Fish Fry is 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in Bosecke Hall at the Holy Rosary Church, 163 Leedy Drive, Lander. Menu includes a generous portion of fish, fries, cole slaw, dessert and a drink. Cost is $7 per person. Children 10 and under eat free.
"Bomber," a British film by Paul Cotter is at 7 p.m. in the Little Theater at the Lander Library, 200 Amoretti St. Alistar and Valerie have been planning a special trip to Germany for a very long time. When their son Ross stops by the house to send them off, happenstance turns into an impromptu family road trip of the most tortuous kind. Alistar berates Ross for all that he is not in life, while Valerie tries to keep the peace. It is soon discovered that Alistar's reason for the often comic, sometimes painful trip is to shed a guilt he's been carrying for years. Ultimately, the family learns they need each other more then they imagined. Event is free and open to the public. Popcorn and soda will be served.
To add an event to the community calendar, please e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "community calendar"R00;in the subject line.
In Riverton Police Department reports Wednesday to Thursday morning:
- At 10:39 a.m. on Wednesday, police responded to an intoxication call in the 500 block of South Federal Boulevard. Kristin Sootkis, 33, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication.
- At 11:45 a.m., police arrested John Chavez, 29, of Riverton, for public intoxication on the 900 block of East Pershing Avenue.
- At 2:11 p.m. on the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard, police arrested Kincaid Duran, 42, of Riverton, for public intoxication.
- At 6:39 p.m., police responded to a call on the 200 block of West Adams Avenue about a disorderly individual. Ronald Burton, 44, of Ethete, was arrested for disturbing the peace.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office reports Wednesday to Thursday morning:
- A 15-year-old Arapahoe boy was arrested for two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, first-degree arson, two counts of aggravated robbery and two counts of conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery.
- Shane Boren, 33, of Riverton, was arrested for probation revocation.
- At 4:35 p.m., police responded to a call on the 1400 block of East Monroe Avenue about a fight involving people with a baseball bat and an axe. Sheriff's Cpt. Ryan Lee said the incident was a verbal dispute between neighbors brandishing weapons. There were no injuries or arrests made in the incident.
- County ambulance crews were called out 15 times during this timeframe. Firefighters responded to six calls for service.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.