Lander quartet all in top 10 as Tigers win Cody golfMay 20, 2013 By Bruce Tippets, Sports Editor
The Lander Valley High School Tigers had four golfers in the top 10 to win the Cody Invitational tournament Friday, May 10, at the Olive Glenn Golf Course.
Trey Massey had the best score for LVHS of the 18-hole tournament with an 80 to place third. Scott Kaufman finished fourth after shooting an 81. Levi Stuttle placed seventh (83) and Tyson Sollars ninth (86).
The Tigers had a winning team score of 330. Powell finished second at 348. Cody was third (350) and Riverton High School was fourth (370). RHS didn't have a golfer in the top 10.
The tournament completed the spring high school season.
"It was a good finish to the year," LVHS coach Terry Berg said. "We have one freshman and four juniors on the team. Our experience helped us win the tournament."
Riverton Middle School eighth-grader Alec Richardson was allowed to in tournament and finished with a 79. Richardson will be a freshman in the fall at Riverton High School.
Mother Nature played havoc in the spring season for the whole state. Lander's own golf invitational two weeks ago was cancelled because of a snowstorm.
"We had a tough spring with the weather and everything," Berg said. "Just playing on the golf course was a miracle for us."
Berg wants his players to play a lot of golf this summer to prepare for the fall season. High School golf starts in the middle of the August.
LVHS golfers Bre Stout and Natelee Hafer tied for eighth spot in the girls individual standings after each having a 107.
Riverton High School golfer Kendra Miller played to a 107. The Tigers were third in the team standings at 335. Worland took the team championship (294) and Buffalo placed second (328).
Cody Invitational golf tournament results
Boys team scores
1. Lander, 330; 2. Powell, 348; 3. Cody, 350; 4. Riverton, 370; 5. Worland, 373. Note: Buffalo had no team score.
Varsity boys top 1O
1. Bowen Prestwich, Powell, 76; 2. Nick Snyder, Cody, 78; 3. Trey Massey, Lander, 80; 4. Scott Kaufman, Lander, 81; 5. (tie) Elie Worrall, Worland, and Pat Maslak, Cody, 82; 7. Levi Stuttle, Lander, 83; 8. Tyler Tashima, Worland,85; 9. (tie) Cameron Nielson, Powell, and Tyson Sollars, Lander, 86.
Girls team scores
1. Worland, 294; 2. Buffalo, 328; 3. Lander, 335. Note. Cody, Powell and Riverton did not have have team scores.
Varsity girls top 10
1. Sarah Schroefel, Worland, 86; 2. Sydney Gunn, Cody, 86; 3. Tess Mitchell, Powell, 91; 4. Lauren Craft, Worland, 98; 5. Mikala Fulton, Powell, 99; 7. Sydne Gruntmier, Buffalo, 103; 8. (tie) Natelee Hafer, Lander, Bre Stout, Lander, Kendra Miller, Riverton, 107.
Boys junior varsity scores
1. Kolbey Wells, Lander, 102; 2. Zach Johnson, Cody, 106; 3. Kyle Carey, Lander, 107; 4. Dylan Gaudern, Riverton, 128.