A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
May 21, 2013 - Staff
Alice Irene Hawks Carper, 89, of Lander, died Wednesday, March 6. A private graveside service was Friday, May 17, at Mount ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
Alice Irene Hawks Carper, 89, of Lander, died Wednesday, March 6. A private graveside service was Friday, May 17, at Mount Hope Cemetery in Lander.
Donald Reed Hearth, 86, died Thursday, May 16, at his home in Lander. Per his request, cremation has taken place, and there will be no services.
Walter Burton Rogers, of Lander, died Saturday, May 18, in Lander. Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, in the Chapel of Mount Hope, Hudson's Funeral Home. Graveside services will be Thursday, May 23, in Mount Hope Cemetery.
Robert Schults, 63, died Friday, May 17, at home in Lander with his wife Barbara at his side. Per his request, there will be no services, and his ashes will be scattered atop the Wind River mountains at a later date.
Theresa Elaine Spears, 55, died Thursday, May 16, at her home in Riverton. Cremation has taken place, and per her request, there will be no services.
Leap into Leadership, sponsored by the Wyoming Women's Foundation, is 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Fremont Room at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. Registration is $25. For more information, visit http://www.wywf.org/LeapintoLeadership2013.html.
Circle of Care Support Group is at 11 a.m. at Amedisys Home Health and Hospice Office, 514 E. Pershing Ave., Suite C, Riverton. Ellen Holzmann will speak on the benefits of speech therapy. Respite care is available during the support group. For more information, call Ronda Hatfield at 856-4127.
eBooks Open House is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave., Riverton. Have an iPad, Android Device or Kindle Fire and want to learn how to access eBooks using the 3M Cloud Library & Freading? Bring them to our open house and have our staff show you how. For more information, call 856-3556.
eBooks Open House is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Lander Library, 451 N. Second St., Lander. Have an iPad, Android Device or Kindle Fire and want to learn how to access eBooks using the 3M Cloud Library & Freading? Bring them to our open house and have our staff show you how. For more information, call 856-3556.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Duane Shakespeare, 28, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 4:45 p.m. Friday. He reportedly was headed north on Federal Boulevard.
- Chauncey Friday, 46, of Ethete, was arrested for breach of peace at about 7:15 p.m. Friday in the 700 block of East Adams Avenue.
- Caleb Blakeman, 34, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence and possession of marijuana at about 12:05 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of North Broadway Avenue.
- Brent C'Hair, 40, of Arapahoe, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 4 a.m. Saturday in the 800 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Vincent Burnett, 23, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 6:10 p.m. Saturday in the 600 block of East Lincoln Avenue.
- Bessie Blackburn, 33, of Arapahoe, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the 400 block of East Fremont Avenue.
- Donald Jones, 48, of Ethete, was arrested on a warrant for failure to appear at about 8:15 p.m. Saturday at Riverton City Hall.
- The RPD took two calls Monday regarding a new scam in the area. According to reports, a man called victims from an 808 area code and said their power or electric bill had been sent to collections. He then requested that they wire him money to "get their account current." Anyone who has received a similar call can report it to the RPD at 856-4891.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Jodi Barquin, 39, of Kinnear, was arrested on a warrant for fraud/non-sufficient funds check at about 7 p.m. Friday on River Bluffs Road in Kinnear.
- Vernon Spoonhunter, 33, of Ethete, was arrested for driving under the influence Saturday after he reportedly crashed his 2001 Chevrolet truck at the intersection of Angler and Kinnear Spur roads in Kinnear. A passerby at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday reported seeing the American Indian man face-down and apparently hurt near the vehicle, which was "parked in the ditch" in a field and reportedly looked stuck. The reporting party said they honked at the person, who "got up and staggered to his vehicle." Spoonhunter was taken to Riverton Memorial Hospital and arrested after being medically cleared. Reports state he was the sole occupant of the vehicle.
- Lavena Laster, 49, of Shoshoni, was arrested for bond violation.
- Multiple suspects reportedly tried to enter a home unlawfully at about 10:45 p.m. Friday in the Gardens North Subdivision in north Riverton. Officials said the homeowner was not injured; the suspects fled the area. The incident is under investigation.
- Trent Fetherston, 28, of Casper, was injured and transported to Lander Regional Hospital at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday after he reportedly collided with a fence along Union Pass Road while driving an all-terrain vehicle. Reports state he was operating a Yamaha Grizzly ATV when he lost control of the vehicle on the slick roadway and struck the fence.
- A resident along U.S. Highway 26 near Kinnear reported a vehicle theft at about 8 a.m. Sunday. According to the resident, someone had taken her 2010 Chrysler Sebring sometime Saturday evening and driven it down the road, leaving it in a nearby ditch. Officials said the suspect took the car, then became stuck a short distance from the home. The suspect reportedly fled the area after taking some money from inside of the vehicle. The incident is under investigation.
- A 19-year-old woman reportedly was assaulted by a man at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday on Snowberry Lane in Riverton. According to the reporting party, the 19-year-old suffered a broken nose and was bleeding and having trouble breathing. She also reportedly complained of pain to her side and arm. Initial reports state brass knuckles were used in the incident, which did not involve alcohol. The man reportedly left the residence wearing a gray sweatshirt and white and black striped shorts. He reportedly was walking toward Webbwood Road when the report was taken, but officials said they were unable to locate him. An arrest warrant is pending.
- The Wyoming Highway Patrol responded to reports that a pickup truck had flipped, landed on its wheels and continued onward at about 12:20 p.m. Saturday on U.S. Highway 26 near Riverton Regional Airport. Witnesses said the vehicle rolled "at least twice." Employees at Riverton Memorial Hospital said they hadn't seen any patients with injuries consistent with the accident.