News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
BLM gives tips for a safe holiday
Jul 3, 2013 - From staff reports
The Wyoming Bureau of Land Management wishes everyone an enjoyable, but safe Fourth of July.
"Currently, the fire danger ranges from moderate to high throughout the state," noted fire management officer Kyle Cowan.
Recreationists need to be aware that the BLM places year-round restrictions on public lands. To receive up-to-date information on where fire restrictions are in effect on BLM lands, visit http://www.wy.blm.gov/wy_fire_restrictions.
BLM year-round fire restrictions include the following:
- Discharging or using any fireworks;
- Discharging a firearm using incendiary or tracer ammunition;
- Burning, igniting, or causing to burn any tire, wire, magnesium, or other hazardous or explosive material;
- Operating any off-road vehicle on public lands unless the vehicle is equipped with a properly installed spark arrester.
Also, it is important to follow these recommendations:
- Make sure campfires are "dead" out.
- Remember that fireworks are prohibited on BLM lands in Wyoming.
- Travel and camp with a shovel, fire extinguisher and ample water.
- Attempt to confine smoking within a vehicle or cleared area.