News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Busy Rendezvous lineup coming up
Jul 18, 2013 - By Andrea Novotny, Staff Writer
Highlights include the Friday Night Cruise, balloon rally, fireworks and car show, with several other events scheduled.
Riverton Rendezvous occludes this weekend with a big schedule of events, including some new additions to the familiar lineup of fun.
- First up is the "media day" balloon launch 6 a.m. Friday, July 19, at the launch field at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. The media day originally included just a few balloons in order give news media a chance to get advance pictures and video, but now most of the sponsored balloons for the weekend rally show up to fly. Community assistance and chaser crews are welcome. This is the public's best chance to ride in one of the balloons without being a sponsor.
- Guest speaker Don Day talks about the Red Bull Stratos Mission and the history and significance of near-space jumps from 7 to 8 p.m. Friday, July 19 at the Eagles Hall. The Cheyenne meteorologist part of the technical crew for the mission in which Felix Baumgartner ascended 128,100 in a stratospheric balloon and made a free-fall jump, reaching supersonic speeds and setting two world records before parachuting to the ground last October. Day will present behind the scenes videos and stories of the historic jump.
- The Friday Night Cruise starts at 6 p.m. Friday, July 19 from Kmart to downtown Riverton, organized by the Rocky Mountain Car and Bike club. Following the Main Street parade, the street downtown will be closed to motor traffic as pedestrians view the cars, and motorcycles that will lines the street. Numerous sidewalk booths and entertainment options are offered as well.
- The annual hot-air balloon rally kicks off at 6 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, with 25 balloons set to launch at CWC. Tethered balloon rides are offered at 7 a.m. both days at the launch field.
The Ranger Balloon Block Treasure Hunt continues as necessary through Friday. A block of wooden letters spelling out "balloon" is hidden somewhere in the greater Riverton area and had not bee found by Thursday's press time. The winner of the treasure hunt receives $500 a balloon ride.
The Kiwanis Family Pancake Breakfast is at 6 a.m. both days. Each course is $1.
If weather permits, the nighttime "balloon glow" will start about 9 a.m. at the launch field. Winds must be calm.
- The 20th Annual Rocky Mountain Car and Bike Show, with more than 200 vehicles, goes from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 20 at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. Included is the Rocky Mountain Rebels Car and Bike Swap Meet, to buy, sell and trade collector car and bike parts. The swap meet runs from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Food vendors will be present.
The second annual Redneck Barbecue Festival to benefit the Dog House Fund runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 20, at Central Wyoming College, 2660 Peck Ave., Riverton. The menu is a la carte, and includes hot dogs, hamburgers, barbecued pork sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, watermelon and chips.
All food items range from $2 to $Mobile food vendors will be selling corndogs, cotton candy and nachos. The event also offers carnival-themed games and activities for all ages, including a bouncy house, fishing hole, water slides, ring toss, dunk tank, and pea shooter. All-day wristbands for activities are $15 each or $50 for the four-pack. All proceeds from games and the barbecue go to the Dog House Fund project to expand the current animal adoption center with on site medical services and to install a community dog park and community memorial grounds.
- The Rendezvous fireworks display starts at about 9:30 p.m. form Griffey Hill west f Riverton. Good viewing spots can be found on the CWC campus and Cooper Road near Mountain View Cemetery.
- New this year is the Auto-Cross race is scheduled for July 21 at the CWC Arts Parking Lot. Entry fees are $30 for three runs. There are three classes: stock, super stock, and super stock modified. Registration is at 8 a.m. The drivers meeting and track review at 10 a.m. must have valid drivers licenses and copy of insurance.