RHS soccer ladies tie rugged R.S. 2-2; Marcia Ashdown hurt

Mar 25, 2012 By Craig Blumenshine, Staff Writer

The Riverton Lady Wolverines tied a very physical Rock Springs Lady Tiger team 2-2 in their Class 4-A West soccer conference opener on the artificial surface Saturday at Rock Springs High School.

Riverton (1-1-1, 0-0-1 4-A West) will stay on the road for one more game this coming Friday, March 30, at Casper Natrona before playing its first home game of the season on March 31, against Casper Kelly Walsh at Wolverine Field.

Riverton gave up a goal in the 15th minute to fall behind early Saturday but answered just two minutes later when two-time all-state senior Marcia Ashdown was taken down by the Rock Springs goalkeeper in the penalty box while trying to score.

Ashdown made the ensuing penalty kick but had been injured on the collision with the keeper and sat out the rest of the match.

"She had already been fouled twice. We think she has a broken wrist or forearm," Bergstedt said.

Ashdown will be evaluated this week to determine whether she can play with the injury.

Minus their leading scorer, the Riverton attack played a ball through to Alexis Oaks in the 34th minute and, although the senior was also taken down, she managed to score to put Riverton up 2-1 at halftime.

Rock Springs tied the game for good in the 48th minute when Riverton's defense was not able to successfully clear the ball.

"We played hard but not as well as we are capable of. We were getting mad about their physical style of play instead of ignoring it. Our kids need to keep their heads and recognize that they don't have control over what the referee does but do have control over how they play," Bergstedt said.

Riverton missed a "fair number" of opportunities in the second half and during overtime, according to Bergstedt.

"We had a number of goal-scoring opportunities in the second half to put the game away but we shot wide or we shot high," Bergstedt said.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...