News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Sep 24, 2013 - Staff
A son was born to Noelle Weimann, and Feike Van Dijk, of Lander, at 1:43 p.m. Sept. 4, 2013, at Riverton Memorial Hospital. He weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces.
A daughter was born to Sarah and Josh Wempen, of Riverton, at 10:46 a.m. Sept. 3, 2013, at Riverton Memorial Hospital. She weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces.
Woodrow James Allen, 69, died Friday, Sept. 20, surrounded by friends and family. A celebration of life service will be 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 13, at Sterling Air, Carson City Airport, 2640 E. College Parkway, Carson City, Nev.
Charles "Don" Boles, 85, of Riverton, died Saturday, Sept. 21, at Riverton Memorial Hospital. Per his request, cremation has taken place. Private family services will be held at a later date.
Courtney Cox, 25, of Lander, died Saturday, Sept. 21, in Lander. A celebration of life service will be at 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29, at the Museum of the American West in Lander with the Rev. Donna Pouliot officiating.
Willie Jacobs, 63, of Kirby, died Friday, Sept. 13, in Thermopolis. Cremation has taken place, and a family memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, in Sinks Canyon State Park. Signs will be posted.
Kathryn (Kathi) Lynn Tibbets, 45, died Sunday, Sept. 22, in Wichita, Kan., after a five-year battle with breast cancer. An informal gathering with a light supper will be 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, in the Monarch Room of the Pronghorn Lodge in Lander.
Friends of the Library Board Meeting is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. Event is open to the public.
Fremont County Transportation Department Public Meeting is at 5:30 p.m. at the Lander Library, 451 N. Second St., Lander. Officials will discuss the first phase of the Mortimore Lane Reconstruction Project, and the public will be allowed to review and comment on conceptual designs.
"The Lesser Blessed" is at 7 p.m. in the Community Room of the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. The film is based on the book of the same title by Richard Van Camp. The library will give away two copies of the book. The event is free and open to the public.
Hot Topics: Fracking, hosted by the Central Wyoming College Diversity Committee, is at 11 a.m. in room 116 in the CWC Intertribal Center. A complimentary lunch is at 12:30 p.m.
Garnet and Velvet Concert is at 7 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave. Cowboy poet "Garnet Butch Martin and Celtic Folk Singer Christina Duane of Velvet Bleu will sing songs and share stories of the American West.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Christopher Briggs, 24, of Riverton, was arrested for interfering with a peace officer and on a Natrona County warrant at about 2:40 p.m. Friday in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive. Two Riverton women, ages 25 and 45, also were issued misdemeanor citations for interfering with a peace officer during the incident. The women were released with their promise to appear in court at a later date.
- Juanita Brokenleg, 37, of Ethete, was arrested for shoplifting, trespassing and on a municipal warrant at about 6:15 p.m. Friday at Walmart.
- Waylynn Spoonhunter, 20, of Ethete, was arrested on Fremont County warrants at about 11:15 p.m. Friday in the 100 block of South Third Street East.
- Bryan Hackleman, 28, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 12:50 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of West Main Street.
- Byron Lincoln, 48, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday in the 200 block of North Broadway.
- Corwin Redtomahawk, 18, of Riverton, was arrested for underage possession of alcohol and on a Fremont County warrant at about 1:10 a.m. Sunday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard. With him was Kelly Means, 22, of Riverton, who also was arrested on a Fremont County warrant. Two 16-year-old Lander girls were issued misdemeanor citations for minor in possession of alcohol, and a 19-year-old Lander woman was issued a misdemeanor citation for underage possession of alcohol during the same incident. They were released with their promise to appear in court at a later date.
- An 18-year-old Riverton woman was issued a misdemeanor citation for underage possession of alcohol at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday in the 500 block of South First Street. She was released with her promise to appear in court at a later date.
- Ezeekiel Osterkorn, 19, of Riverton, was arrested for underage possession of alcohol and breach of peace at about 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Riverton Memorial Hospital.
- Joshua Keele, 27, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant at about 5:40 p.m. Sunday in the 300 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Michael Mellado, 21, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for contempt of court at about 12:10 a.m. Monday in the 900 block of North Broadway Avenue.
- Steven King, 29, of Riverton, was arrested on a warrant for contempt of court at about 11 a.m. Monday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Lacie Snyder, 25, of Pavillion, was arrested on two courtesy holds for probation and parole at about 8:45 pm. Monday in the 600 block of East Madison Avenue.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Robin Behan, 31, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear at about 6:30 p.m. Friday in the 900 block of East Monroe Avenue.
- Colton Robertson, 18, of Hudson, was arrested for bond revocation.
- Jimmie Nelms, 60, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation.
- Jose Ocon, 22, of Casper, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear.
- Brittany Sherman, 20, of Riverton, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for failure to appear and for no valid driver's license just before 10 p.m. Monday in the 200 block of North Smith Road in Riverton.
- A dog reportedly was chasing a man at about 1:30 p.m. Friday in the 1200 block of North Smith Road. The man said the bulldog had bit several children in the past. Officials said the dog was confined, and the owner will be cited.
- A one-vehicle accident took place at about 12:45 p.m. Saturday on the Loop Road above Lander. According to initial reports, an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old boy were injured in the incident, which involved a blue Dodge pickup that ran off of the roadway after possibly experiencing mechanical failure. The subjects reportedly were transported to the Lander Regional Hospital, and the accident is under investigation.
- Someone in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue in Riverton called police at about 1 p.m. Saturday to report that some kids had a rope around a cat's neck and were swinging the animal in a circle and had thrown it over a fence. The reporting party said he had retrieved the cat, who lived through the incident. Officials said they spoke with two boys, ages 11 and 4, and their parent, about the issue.
- A vehicle fire was reported at about 7:20 a.m. Monday from the 7300 block of Wyoming Highway 789 south of Lander. According to initial reports, a camper was on fire; no one was trapped, and no structures were threatened, though the vehicle reportedly was located near a Jeep and some trees. No one was reported to be injured.
- A 44-year-old woman reportedly fell down at about 8 p.m. Monday on First Street in Dubois. According to initial reports, a vehicle then ran over her hip and stomach. She was airlifted to Idaho for treatment, and officials had no further information about the incident.
- During this timeframe the Fremont County Emergency Dispatch Center took 229 calls for service, including five involving motor vehicle accidents with one reporting injuries. County ambulances were dispatched 42 times, and area fire departments responded to seven calls for help. Twenty people were booked into the Fremont County Detention Center for charges, including two for driving under the influence, three other alcohol-related charges, one felony charge and 28 misdemeanor charges. The center currently is responsible for 153 inmates, including 138 at the facility, nine in substance abuse treatment programs, two on home detention and four elsewhere.
- Grantor: PICKETT KAREN Legal: Sub/Mine: CHATTERTON GLENN 1ST ADD RI Lot: 12 Block: 3 ... Grantee: PICKETT KAREN, PICKETT VAUGHN
- Grantor: BARNES BRENDA K, GREGORY GLORIA J Legal: Sub/Mine: BUTLER ADD LA Lot: 3 Block: 203 City: LANDER Grantee: RJ INVESTMENTS LLC
- Grantor: WILKINS BETTY JEAN Legal: Quarter: SWSW Section: 31 Township: 34N Range: 98W Grantee: WILKINS BETTY JEAN, VAILE ROBERT L, DESTEFANO PAMELA SUE, ...
- Grantor: BEDDOES KAREN D Legal: Sub/Mine: PLEASANT VALLEY SUB LA Lot: 7 City: LANDER Grantee: MYERS LINDA L, BLANCHARD DOUGLAS W
- Grantor: HARTL KAREN S Legal: Sub/Mine: RIVERVIEW ADD RI Lot: 5 Block: 7 City: RIVERTON Grantee: SWENSON GENE H TRUSTEE, SWENSON MARILYN R TRUSTEE, SWENSON MARILYN R & GENE H FAMILY TRUST
- Grantor: HERMAN CHAD, WHITE CYNTHIA, HERMAN CYNTHIA J Legal: Quarter: NESW Section: 10 Township: 32N Range: 99W Grantee: HERMAN CHAD M, HERMAN CYNTHIA J
- Groom: PENA JORGE EDUARDO Bride: POLYN ANTONIA MARY
- Groom: LEWIS MICHAEL LEE JR Bride: SPOONHUNTER JOSEPHINE ALICIE
- Groom: COX DANIEL GLEN Bride: BUSKOHL COURTNEY BREE