RHS girls edge Lady Chiefs at Riverton race; Lander boys winOct 1, 2013 By Bruce Tippets, Sports Editor
The Riverton Wolverines slipped by the Wyoming Indian High School girls Monday afternoon at the Berry Bryant/Kyle Johnson cross country race to win the girls team title.
The 3.1-mile race was held at the Wind River Golf Course.
The Wolverines scored 27 points, while Wyoming Indian had 28.
Riverton officials originally had scheduled the race for Friday, but had to postpone it until Monday because of the early snowstorm.
Green River and Casper Natrona both pulled out of the race.
"We had outstanding performances and times," RHS cross country coach Jay Dayton said. "The weather was nice. The kids were ready to go."
Lander won the boys team title, scoring 35 points. Wyoming Indian finished second at 44 points, and Riverton came in third with 45.
"The course was in great condition," Dayton said. "It was not muddy. It was dried out."
Lander's Micah Whiting and Charlene Brown of Wyoming Indian were the two winners Monday.
Whiting captured the boys race. Brown finished in the top spot in the girls race.
Brown had a time of 21:07.12. Riverton's Olivia Thompson finished second in 21:24.34. Auburn Bell from Wyoming Indian was fourth (22:49.59). Riverton's Bailey Broadbent was fourth (23:42.28).
"Olivia really had a good time," Dayton said. "Olivia became strong in the middle of the race. She was able to move away from Wyoming Indian's second runner.
Times were not made available from the boys varsity race.
"My boys varsity really stepped up," Dayton said.
Wyoming Indian's top runner, Wilson Clifford, was second in the boys race.
Dustin Blackburn from Riverton was third.
"Dustin is really working hard in practice," Dayton said. "He is getting better every week."
Wyoming Indian, Riverton and Lander will all compete Thursday in the Thermopolis Invitational.
The race is held at the golf course.
"It's a two-lap course," Dayton said. "It has some challenging hills. It provides a great workout for the kids."
Results from Berry Bryant/ Kyle Johnson Memorial race held on Monday afternoon
1. Lander, 35; 2. Wyoming Indian, 44; 3. Riverton, 45.
Top 10 (Times not available)
1. Micah Whiting, Lander; 2. Wilson Clifford, Wyoming Indian; 3. Dustin Blackburn, Riverton; 4. Drew Gramlich, Lander; 5. Keegan Her Many Horses, Wyoming Indian; 6. Cory Lamebear, Wyoming Indian; 7. Ben Zoller, Riverton; 8. Brytan Spoonhunter, Riverton; 9. Scott Jones, Lander; 10. Nate Linton, Lander.
13. Sean Watts; 14. Russell C'Hair; 17. Thomas Beasley.
JV top 10
1. Tyler Penatac, Wyoming Indian, 18:50.10; 2. Gavin Settlemire, Riverton, 19:35.90; 3. Buell Robinson, Wyoming Indian, 19:55.89; 4. Nate Robinson, Lander, 20:06.87; 5. Caleb C'Bearing, Riverton, 20:21.91; 6. Thomas Clifford, Wyoming Indian, 20:33.64; 7. Duncan Makin, Riverton, 20:41.27; 8. Daylin Penatac, Wyoming Indian, 21:02.83; 9. Ellis Peterson, Lander, 21:16.99; 10. Aaron Bird Chief, Wyoming Indian, 21:29.26.
1. Riverton, 27; 2. Wyoming Indian, 28.
1. Charlene Brown, Wyoming Indian, 21:07.12; 2. Olivia Thompson, Riverton, 21:24.34; 3. Auburn Bell, Wyoming Indian, 22:49.59; 4. Bailey Broadbent, Riverton, 23:42.28; 5. Kianna Wallowingbull, Wyoming Indian, 23:44.68; 6. Jillian C'Bearing, Riverton, 24:28.34; 7. Lena Wammer, Riverton, 24:29.18; 8. Trinity Goggles, Riverton, 24:30.06; 9. Mikayla Littleshield, Wyoming Indian, 25:46.88; 10. Phyllis Gardner, Wyoming Indian, 26:06.84.
1. Tina Lopez, Riverton, 23:21.81; 2. MorningRae Gambler, Wyoming Indian, 23:51.88; 3. Amyrn Brown, Wyoming Indian, 24:00.94; 4. Keely Garvin, Lander, 24:03.09; 5. Joely Trosper, Wyoming Indian, 24:33.94; 6. April Makeshine, Lander, 24:47; 7. Loveeda White, Wyoming Indian, 25:55.69; 8. Sharnae Noseep, Wyoming Indian, 27:04.78; 9. Mountain WallowingBull, Wyoming Indian, 28:10.66; 10. Ampo Mills, Wyoming Indian, 29:14.84.