Oct 31, 2013 - From staff reportsThe Riverton High School Key Club is participating in the UNICEF/Kiwanis International project to eliminate maternal neonatal tetanus.
Contributions will be collected Thursday for Halloween.
"Our club goal is to raise $6,000 this year," said Key Club adviser Claire Peart. "If we meet our goal, we will be saving at least 3,333 lives. There are still 26 third-world countries where MNT is a problem. With the public's help, we believe that we can meet our goal."
Last year the club raised more than $5,200 on Halloween.
Donation boxes have been placed at each elementary school in Riverton. Any student choosing to participate
also has been given an orange UNICEF box to friends, family and neighbors on Halloween night, or any time before Monday.
"If a child with a collection box rings your doorbell, please consider helping the RHS Key Club with this very worthy cause," Peart said.
She shared the following statistics about the Eliminate Project, which is Kiwanis International's global campaign to help eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus from the face of the Earth:
- The campaign is expected to raise $110 million for the project.
- One baby dies every nine minutes from tetanus, which amounts to 160 babies each day.
- MNT has been eliminated from more than 20 countries since 2000.
- A series of three doses of tetanus vaccine equals immunity from tetanus.
- If a woman is vaccinated, every future pregnancy and baby is protected.
- It costs $1.80 to protect one woman and her future babies.
- The Eliminate Project saves or protects 61 million women and babies.
Anyone with questions or wishing to make a donation separately from the Halloween drive is invited to contact Peart at 851-6507 or fellow club adviser Gay Hughes at 851-4782.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.