News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Big damage from two Sunday fires; no injuries
Nov 5, 2013 - By Katie Roenigk, Staff Writer
Fire officials think an unattended candle caused a structure fire Sunday at a home north of Riverton.
No one was injured in the blaze, but the room in which the fire started reportedly was destroyed.
"At one time I think it was like a screened-in porch that they kind of finished off and turned into a room," Riverton Volunteer Fire Department chief Mike Hutchison said. "It was kind of an addition to the house."
The addition and a nearby bathroom were involved in the fire, but Hutchison said the rest of the single-story home only received minor smoke damage.
"The door was closed (to) the room the fire started in," he said. "That helped the rest of the house out quite a bit."
A team of 12 firefighters and three trucks responded at about 11:45 a.m. Sunday to the scene on Dalley Road north of Riverton. Hutchison said heavy smoke was pouring from the porch area when he arrived.
"That room was pretty well involved in fire," he said.
The single female occupant was not home at the time; Hutchison said she suspects her cat may have disrupted a candle in the porch area, causing the blaze.
"We don't know for sure, but (that's) one of our theories," he said, adding, "It's never a good idea to leave candles burning and unattended when you're not home."
He said the cat was not injured in the incident.
Also on Sunday, local fire crews responded at about 5:15 a.m. to a fire at an unoccupied home on Sagebrush Drive in the Beaver Creek housing area south of Riverton. Hutchison said it appeared someone had set fire to a pile of debris on the floor in the home's kitchen.
"We couldn't find any other logical cause for the fire at the time," he said.
The kitchen was "heavily damaged" from the fire, while the rest of the home received "pretty heavy" smoke, he continued. No one was injured; nine firefighters and two trucks were on scene for less than an hour.