Medicare open enrollment period now under wayNov 5, 2013 From staff reports
Insurance Commissioner Tom Hirsig is reminding Wyomingites that Medicare's open enrollment period will continue through Dec. 7.
In most cases, enrollees will not be able to change prescription drug plan options outside the open enrollment period; therefore, people should take the time to review their Medicare benefits and options now.
Hirsig advises that "not everyone who contacts you about switching your Medicare drug or health plan has the best intentions."
To guard against fraud, here are some additional tips:
- Beware of door-to-door sales people. Agents cannot solicit
business at your home without an appointment. Do not let uninvited agents into your home.
- Check with the Wyoming Insurance Department to make sure the agent is licensed.
- Do not give out personal information, such as Social Security or Medicare ID numbers, bank account or credit card numbers to anyone you have not verified as a licensed agent.
- Verify that the plan you have chosen is an approved Medicare plan. All of the approved plans are available at www.medicare.gov or by calling 1-800-MEDICARE.
- Should you suspect Medicare fraud, call the Senior Medicare Patrol at 1-800-856-4398.
For help enrolling or changing prescription drug plans, call the Wyoming State Health Insurance Information Program in Riverton at 1-800-856-4398.
The Wyoming Insurance Department may be reached at 1-800-438-5768 or online at http://doi.wyo.gov.